Horrible mail bug with Beta 3, had to revert to Beta 2

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by megalaser, Jul 9, 2013.

1. megalaser macrumors 6502

megalaser

Not sure if anyone else had this . . . last night upgraded to beta 3 and then today the mail app started duplicating emails from one folder to another, it created 9000 and if i deleted any they would reappear, it pushed to all my iCloud devices where I deleted the 9000 emails but they remained on the phone, wouldn't delete and then it pushed them back to the cloud where they reappeared twice more, so the phone generated 27,000 email copies. In the end only way to clear them was to restore back to Beta 2 . . . . It's a beta!

2. PrometheusGeek macrumors regular

Bizarre... We're those emails in an icloud email acct, or a different acct like gmail or a POP acct or something? Sure sounds like a problem from the server, and not something caused by the device. Odd...

3. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

Damn! And I thought the notification count being off on my emails/text messages was bad lol

4. megalaser thread starter macrumors 6502

megalaser

iCloud, all worked fine until I upgraded to beta 3, then the inbox and another folder started filling up with copies of old emails, I deleted them on my Mac and iPad but they would not delete from the iPhone, kept reappearing and then this pushed them back up to iCloud and then appeared again on the Mac and iPad. Only way I stopped it was by disabling iCloud mail on the iPhone, deleted them everywhere and the did a full wipe and restore to beta 2 on the iPhone.

5. iapplelove macrumors 68030

iapplelove

6. megalaser thread starter macrumors 6502

megalaser

It was a vicious circle, because they were stuck on the phone it kept pushing them back to the cloud and down to the other devices, now I'm scared to try Beta 3 again, it took hours to calm the mail apps down on all devices, they all went nuts duplicating emails.

----------

The betas expire? what happens is it like Mission Impossible? The smoke starts coming out of the phone . . . .

7. megalaser thread starter macrumors 6502

megalaser

Apple iCloud

It was caused by the iPhone, the only device that for some reason would not allow me to delete the emails.

I deleted them from the other devices. Gone, even went to iCloud in the browser, no emails. Switched the phone back on and hey presto they reappeared everywhere.

The fact that they were still on the iPhone pushed them back up to iCloud and then they reappeared on all devices, 9000 emails 3 times = 27,000 emails.

Only thing that stopped it was wiping the iPhone and reverting to beta 2

8. C DM, Jul 9, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2013

C DM macrumors Westmere

The betas definitely expire. I believe iOS 7 beta 1 expires on July 24th and beta 2 on August 8th (and beta 3 on August 29th). What happens is that as of the day they expire any device that is still running them basically doesn't work--you will need to install a newer non-expired beta or go back to the last supported stable version that Apple is still providing at the time.