Horrible name? Bad design?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by nStyle, Sep 13, 2014.

1. nStyle macrumors 65816

Does anyone else dislike how they are just calling it Apple Watch?

Not only that, but their branding is completely bad design. WATCH is capitalized...for no reason. The font is bold and the kerning is bad. There's just nothing exciting or creative about it. And it doesn't seem like it fits with everything else. I also feel "iPhone 6 Plus" is like Samsung-level bad naming. 6+ would make more sense.

Not to mention the thing is incredibly bulky and cartoonish looking.

2. C64 macrumors 65816

C64

It seems very generic, because you can't simply say "Watch", but they're obviously trying to get the Apple name out there (Apple Pay, Apple TV, Apple Watch) and move away from the antiquated i-names. "iPhone" is a strong brand by now, but that doesn't mean they should just keep calling everything iSomething.

It doesn't really bother me. The iNames are getting boring imho, so "Apple Watch" is just fine.

“Apple Watch” is a name.
    “Watch” is a logo mark.

https://twitter.com/gruber/status/509801594561372160

The kerning seems consistent, but you'll always perceive more space between the T and C opposed to the A and T. Not really that big of a deal.

They chose bold text to differentiate between WATCH and SPORT / EDITION. Maybe they'll use a thinner font in a few years when the watch itself isn't so thick anymore :p In any case, Apple tends to keep things simple (not necessarily consistent) when it comes to naming, not exciting or creative.

Yet. And don't forget tv.

I don't like that either, but that's for another forum/topic.

Compared to renders of futuristic curved glass watches we've seen in the last year, yes. Compared to tons of regular/traditional watches: not so much. They seem enormous on the Apple page when it's just the watch floating around on a white page. But looking at it on people's wrists in pictures/videos it really isn't all that big.

3. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

WATCH is capitalized to be consistent with the all caps on the back of the case.

It hardly looks bulky on the wrist compared to the Moto 360 that everyone seems to be swooning over (and they're obviously misled by the render).

Some people also think the iPhone 5c is cartoonish looking but fear not, Apple isn't only selling the Sport version.

4. swedefish macrumors 6502

You mean all the anti-Apple clowns who are grasping at straws? The Moto 360 is a joke in comparison to the Apple Watch.

5. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

Michaelgtrusa

“What does a designer do?”

“I move shapes around until they make sense.”