Horrible problem with appstore and Opera

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sgunes, Jul 31, 2011.

1. sgunes macrumors member

Hi:
    I am getting very frustrated with this problem.

I installed Opera (the free web browser). The appstore reminded me to update it. When I click "update" I get a "To update this application, sign in to the account you used to purchase it." I have not purchased it with another account. I do have only one Apple account for iPhone, iPad and MacPro and that account/Credit Card is valid and active.
    After contacting Apple tech support I was told to just delete it and then redownload from "purchases".
    I deleted it but I get the same error.
    I cannot download Opera as the appstore/computer thinks that it is installed.
    I asked apple tech support (different divisions and levels) where on my boot drive would be the entry that states Opera is still installed. I have not received an answer.
    I looked for anything "Opera" related and deleted it (Library/Caches and Library/Preferences..) still no change. I used the hide-unhide program and Finder cannot find anything Opera related.

My question to the collective brain trust is:
    where on my boot drive would be the entry that makes the appstore think that opera is installed?

Thanks for any help.
    sg

BTW: Apple tech support told me that they cannot just delete Opera from my account!

2. sgunes thread starter macrumors member

There has to be an apple programmer/developer who knows where the OS keeps the entries about installed programs. It is not just in the applications folder.
    Once I delete the wrong entry about Opera still working, I can re-download and install it.
    Apple tech support gave up on this problem.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

You can download and install Opera from their website. No need to monkey around with app store.

4. sgunes thread starter macrumors member

Thanks that worked. As I downloaded and installed the newest version from the opera website, appstore does not bug me with updating on a different account.
    Thanks again.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

You're welcome.

I've avoided geting anything from the App store that I can get from the developer's website. Fee apps like Firefox, Chrome, Opera, etc are much easier to just get from their developers.

If an app is not free I go to the developer's site and see if it is available from there and if it is I pay the developer and download it from their site.

6. ttrtilley macrumors newbie

ttrtilley

The "account", to which the message refers, is NOT your APPLEID account.
    [If you used the wrong applid, you would have no apps to update.]

It is your USERID on your computer.
    I have 2 userids - ADMIN, and PEON which I normally use.

Some of my apps were purchased with the admin account.
    These showed up as "update" rather than "installed"

I logged out of peon, and logged in to admin.
    Now most purchased apps showed up as "install"
    [some were "installed" but none were "update"]

Install all of them, and Bob's your uncle :)