Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MadeByApple

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 8, 2015
I've been trying to sell my iPad Pro without any luck. 128g iPad pro wifi, with smart keyboard, pencil, and AppleCare+ included for $1100.

The market for iPad Pros is extremely weak. :(

Jukens

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2013
That model has been on sale for for 799-849 new for a bit now so that's going to hurt you trying to sell a used one. With current sales you are listing your package for only $66 less than getting it all new. Also I've never had luck increasing resale with accessories.

Marshall73

macrumors 68030
Apr 20, 2015
Probably asking too much if you want a quick sale, as suggested by others, sell it all separately.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
It isn't honestly your fault...
I think the IPP is just too expensive period (at retail prices) and same for the accessories.

It really feels like Apple is just continuing to see how far they can stretch their pricing. They are really really pushing the upper end on some of this stuff (to me anyways)

shox2k2

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2010
Wichita, KS
I can't imagine there's a huge market for the apple care added on. Can't you just say you sold it and get a pro rated refund on that? I've bought iPads off craigslist before but if I'm going to pay close to retail I'm just going to buy retail. I'd need at least $150 off. I know it sucks to lose money on items but the price of the pro itself means you are looking for a very small selection of buyers.

bensisko

macrumors 65816
Jul 24, 2002
The Village
Yep - has to be at LEAST 25% cheaper if I go used vs. retail, esp. on a current product. Reason is there are certain guarantees a retailer can make vs. private reseller. This sucks for the seller, but if I'm in the market for an expensive piece of equipment, I would rather have the full backi of the retailer. This is the same reason I would rather buy direct from Apple vs. Best Buy or any other source - unless there's a significant reason not to.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
I've been trying to sell my iPad Pro without any luck. 128g iPad pro wifi, with smart keyboard, pencil, and AppleCare+ included for $1100.

The market for iPad Pros is extremely weak. :(
True.

I've watched one being advertised in the local Craigslist, go unsold for three weeks. He's asking $300 less than it's MSRP. That is a huge savings.

It comes with all Apple packaging and is flawless according to one person I know who is interested, looked at it, but will only buy if he can get it for a much lower price.

For now the seller is holding out. Good luck to him, Apple resale is no longer what it once was.

Reactions: baypharm

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
My benchmark is usually 65% of what I bought it for, assuming it is still in perfect or near-perfect condition.

The iPad Pro in particular has bad resale because of the numerous sales stores have been giving it so soon after its launch. For those who remember, Target had a 15% off all iPad Pros, which would mean a 128GB WiFi at $807, which is pretty much what Staples is selling it right now (slightly less even...)

For maximum "insult to injury", consider Discover's 22% cash back on all in-store Apple Pay purchases (sadly expired last year). Your combination of all 3 with AppleCare+ would be (950 + 100 (AppleCare) + 100 (Pencil) + 170 (Keyboard)) = $1320 - 22% = $1030. That's less than what you're asking... you can see why it's hard to sell it at the price you quote?

Selling it all at a total of 65% or $860 would definitely draw some serious attention however. But yes, you'll be eating a huge chunk of loss.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
If the iPad Air3 brings Pencil compatibility (I'd be surprised if it doesn't) it will get even worse. Right now you're selling the bigger size + the only device than can do the awesome pencil stuff....take out the pencil exclusivity and it gets even worse on the resale side...

The iPP is extremely niche...it's a beautiful kit, but just a really unwieldy and large size...much more suited to laid on the desk usage than held in the hands (based on my 3 weeks with one anyways).

I'd get that price down and eat it now rather than later if I were doing the selling. Also...absolutely break the items up and sell them separately.

Reactions: baypharm

masotime

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2012
San Jose, CA
Overall, I'd put the total value at ~$950. I think that would be a level at which people would start being genuinely interested, bundled with everything... i.e. basically the "MSRP" + every accessory + AppleCare+. Interestingly, if you had sold your Pencil and Keyboard in late December / early January, you might actually have fetched a price higher than you paid for.

Eric5273

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2009
New Jersey
It's very hard to sell a computer or iPad that is only a few months old, just like it's very hard to sell a 1 year old car. Most people would just buy new if they are going to spend almost as much as the cost of a new one.

Where Apple products hold their value well is when they get old. You can usually sell a 5 year old MacBook for a few hundred dollars still.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
It's very hard to sell a computer or iPad that is only a few months old, just like it's very hard to sell a 1 year old car. Most people would just buy new if they are going to spend almost as much as the cost of a new one.

Where Apple products hold their value well is when they get old. You can usually sell a 5 year old MacBook for a few hundred dollars still.

Doubly true for more expensive things like high-end cars and computers. If you're going to spend $1000 a couple of hundred bucks one way or another doesnt matter much... many people with thr cash to buy a Pro device would rather have a brand new one from the Apple store (I know this is true for me).

Go look at the resale on high-end BMWs... cars like the M5 lose a ridiculous amount of money instantly. If you're in the market for an M5 then you want to have the brand newest one... and a few thousand dollars off doesn't matter much...

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
When you're selling something in excess of $1000 you'll find that the market for quick sales is a lot more limited. Most people just don't have $1000 of disposable income and if they do they'll often prefer to just buy new. This combined with the fact that used iPads have been in the tank as far as reselling goes for the past several years.

Note as well that AppleCare and accessories generally don't help with resale value.

Reactions: A.R.E.A.M.

turbineseaplane

macrumors G5
Mar 19, 2008
This combined with the fact that used iPads have been in the tank as far as reselling goes for the past several years.

So true..

I've been watching 64gb iPad Air 2's with LTE get down to nearly the $350-$400 range in a couple markets as the iPad Air 3 rumors ramp up. That's an ASTOUNDING discount and the products aren't moving...

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
Ok don't take this the wrong way man, but what the hell are you thinking selling the iPad for that much? You could practically go to the store and buy a brand new one for that price! I know I know...it comes with some crap. But if you know anything about craigslist, you know not to include accessories to higher the price. You include accessories to sweeten the deal of an already LOW price. That's how the market works. People go to Craigslist to find killer deals. Not buy an iPad and a couple accessories they might not even want for the same price as they could go out and just buy a new one for.

I mean damn...if someone just wanted the iPad and not the accessories, they could go out and buy it for $950. You're selling your little package for $1100 used! Lower the price to $800 and you'll get some inquiries. It seems you don't understand how selling things work and then get upset when people don't flock to pay you more money than it's worth

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Its a niche product, that isn't in that much demand, compared to other products. Try eBay, as that has more worldwide exposure.

Perhaps if demand was higher and supply was more constrained you'd get close to that, but I don't that price is indicative of the market.

macguy360

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2011
The IPP is something that will have an immediate large drop in price, but should hold its value in the long run. You would be better off either returning it during the return period or keeping and enjoying it for 2-3 years and then selling it at 60% of its original purchase price.

silverblack

macrumors 68030
Nov 27, 2007
The resell value of the iPP is more inline with Macs and MacBooks, which are generally lower (in percentages) compared to iPhones and iPads. This is nothing surprising, and there is probably a formula or theory that explains it in business schools.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.