Horrible rubbery earphones with iPhone 3G

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steven Jackson, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Steven Jackson macrumors 6502

I've had the iPhone 3G since launch, but have only just unwrapped the earphones. What's happened? The cable is springy and rubbery and hateful and horrid. Yuck.

Why have Apple changed their headphones? The old ones were lovely.

Steve.

2. Flhusky macrumors 6502a

Flhusky

:rolleyes:There are headphones with the iPhone?:confused:
    <opens box>
    Well I'll be! There is some CHEAP crap throw away headphones.

3. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

LOL iPod/iPhone headphones have always been garbage.

4. Steven Jackson thread starter macrumors 6502

No, no, no. I'm not talking about the sound quality being garbage, I'm talking about the horrible, springy, rubbery cable. It's made out of a different material than the headphones I got with the first gen iPhone, or any other iPod I've ever owned...

Steve.

5. appledrone macrumors regular

I think they changed the material used before the 3G launch, I went into my local apple store about 3 weeks before launch to get a replacement set for my 1st gen phone as one of the buds stopped working. The new set that the genius gave me are the same as the 3G ones - I agree, they do seem to be a bit springy and rubbery.

6. vega07 macrumors 65816

7. cantankerously macrumors regular

I love the new headphones, rubbery or not. The ability is skip and pause music from the microphone is one of my favorite things about it.
    :)

8. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Which could be done with the old ones.

9. cantankerously macrumors regular

I've never owned or touched a 1st gen.
    :(

10. kevo0822 macrumors regular

I definitely noticed a BIG difference in the "feel" of the headphones! I bought my 2G iPhone in November and the headphones that came with it felt the same as every other pair of Apple headphones I've used prior to then. In June, I bought an iPod Shuffle (the iPhone is just to bulky to be worn comfortably while running...) and I noticed the included headphones felt rubbery, as if they were made from a completely different material than my previous headphones. I thought that maybe iPod Shuffle headphones are different... But now with my iPhone 3G, the same rubbery headphones are included! I liked the old ones better!

11. awvan macrumors member

I actually love the rubbery cords on the headphones. They don't get tangled nearly as easily. They don't wrap up quite as nicely, but I like them. Never owned the first iPhone, but I do like them better than what I got with my 5th gen iPod.

12. bluelondon macrumors regular

i think you pointed out the main reason why apple used this material. it may not feel as nice as the old headphones but it hardly ever get's tangled up which always happens with these in-ear headphones.

my gripe isn't with the rubbery cable itself but more so with the ear buds and how they refuse to stay in my ear. they always find a way to slide out a little, not helped by the rubbery cable which at times seems to have a mind of it's own. a little more grip on the ear buds would have been appreciated.

13. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

wow, people will seriously find anything to complain about

dang the new power brick is smaller and doesnt have the adapter on it

dang whats this stupid sim ejector tool, i better not have paid extra for it

whats this cloth, i wont use this and its taking up space in my box

get a life

14. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

They changed the material to make the earbud wires to rubber, because rubber isn't supposed to have a memory, so hopefully it will prevent tangles and kinks.

Also, I believe it is only the A-Type power bricks (US, Can, JPN, PRC) that have built-in plugs. I know the UK one are smaller, but still utilize the figure 8 connector on them to allow for different plugs.

TEG

15. hookem12387 macrumors 6502

Another hater of the new earbuds! I wish I had the first gen ones still

16. hexonxonx macrumors 601

Agreed. I have always used the supplied headphones with my phones. I like them and the little button is a great little feature.

17. Aperture macrumors 68000

Aperture

Yep, I'm not a fan of them. I preferred the ones that came with the 1st gen.

18. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

These are usable on a day-to-day basis. The old ones were not.

What did you replace them with? I haven't looked, but I didn't know there were 3rd party headphone with a mic and iPod controls buit in. What's available?

19. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

v-moda vibe 2 duos. go to the apple store, they have them there. built in mic and great headphones

20. bstpierre macrumors 6502

I use the v-moda vibe duos too. Careful, they do make a non-microphone version. Some people don't like them. They are a little like Apple's higher end ear buds that come with several replaceable rubber ear pieces so you can size them to some extent. These seal the sound somewhat so internal sounds get really loud (chewing, cable rubbing on something, etc.). I got them because the earbud coming out of the mic of the Apple set kept getting a loose connection.

I think the old ear buds cable contained a toxic substance which lead to the replacement.
    http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071015-consumer-health-group-suing-apple-over-iphone.html

21. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Sorry, I didn't notice the difference in the two headsets, b/c I pretty much just tossed them in my headphone/headset graveyard shoebox. I'm happy with the Bose In-Ear-Headphones and the iJack for microphone and iPod operation switch. Anyone else notice how short the iPhone headset cord is? :cool:

22. docal97 macrumors 6502a

docal97

i actually never use them, they fall out of my ear all the time. I use inner ear buds by shure and love them.

23. ibizarocks macrumors regular

I actually think you get more bass with these headphones over standard i-pod headphones so I like them

24. d wade macrumors 65816

d wade

i used the headphones all the time on my 1st gen.

i use them all the time now with my 3G.

i never noticed a difference. i dont care. they work fine. i use them when i drive, like a bluetooth substitute.

25. bk888 macrumors newbie

I don't like the feel of the new cables, but I love how tangle-resistant they are!