horrible text messaging alerts

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Solesk, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Solesk macrumors member

I dont want this to turn into another "why cant the iphone do this" thread.

but is there anyway to set the iphone to alert me more than once to an incomming txt message? the vibrate is weak. and i am often in a loud environment that does not allow me to hear the little beep of an incomming message.

but it only does it once! every phone i have ever had re-vibrates / makes a sound every 5-10 minutes until you check it so that you cant miss it.

just tonight i had a text message for 3 hours before i noticed it. that's unacceptable. i love my iphone. but if i'm not seeing messages in a timely manner just because i dont have the time to be turning it on every 5 minutes then it fails at it's most basic function, being a phone.

the same goes for missed calls. it's just unacceptable.

am i missing a setting? because if i'm not i think i will return it. do i get 15 or 30 days? i dont know. but between this and dropping every 5th call i am not having fun.

2. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

Unfortunately, unless you jailbreak, there's no way to change this.

3. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

I don't know, I think it's ok to not have the phone constantly buzzing every couple of minutes. I text, I text a lot, but there are times when I don't want to respond right away, and having my phone buzzing or beeping every couple of minutes would not be helpful. Besides, that would suck up juice so badly, that the battery life between charges would be severely affected. So when you complain because your battery life wasn't what it used to be, remember, it's that buzzing against your leg every few minutes that you had to have.

EDIT:Hey, wait, new solution, maybe you could look at the phone every half an hour or so? You know, slide it out of your pocket, and hit the home button. That'll show you what's been going on.

4. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

This feature would do nothing to your battery life. If it did, Apple need to hire some new engineers cuz my Razr had this and it had excellent battery life. I actually kinda miss that now that it's been brought up.

5. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

Running the vibrator takes a bit of juice considering how insignificant a feature it is. Say you have a text message you don't want to answer and the phone buzzes every 3 minutes, that's 20 buzzes per hour. That could be significant. And no, the iPhone has nowhere near the battery life of a Razr, the iPhone uses more juice, that's the thing with a computer in your pocket.

6. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

that feature has driven me CRAZY on my husband's phone. He would get texts at night and all through the night i would hear "BZZZZZZZ"

I think that if you arent waiting for a text, and you check your phone regularly, theres no REAL need for it. It is definitely annoying to me.. plus, the phone's text sound is LOUD!

7. Brett3rThanU macrumors regular

I wish the SMS notifications were louder or repeated several times. I get paged through SMS texts for work and there's no way in hell one tiny chime is going to wake me up in the middle of the night.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I'm torn between the two.

On one hand I understand the need for multiple attention grabbing alerts (sometimes I even wish for a tacky ass blinking light!).

On the other hand, I receive sage advice from my roommate who frames the issue much like how lindsayanng framed the issue.

I'm sure Apple thought this scenario through .. and they decided they'd rather have their users check the phone when they're expecting something (waking user up, or otherwise really interrupting them, is something they seemed to have avoided on purpose).

9. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

Wait, so does this mean there is an application for this? I keep hoping something will turn up in the app store for this solution. I would think if there is one for a jailbroken phone, there would eventually be one in the app store.

10. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

thats not nessesarily true. The jailbreak apps do not have to abide by the SDK rules.. the app store ones do, and since it would need to "piggy back" the sms app, it probably isnt allowed

much like why the video isnt

11. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

If something was available to turn the feature on and off, that would be ideal. There are certain times i'd like to have it because i don't want whoever i'm with seeing me constantly looking at my phone. I feel like it's rude to the company i'm with. But if heard a beep, then i could step away and get my message.

12. Sweetbike40 macrumors 65816

Sweetbike40

oh, that stinks. it wasn't a dealbreaker for me but i do kind of miss that feature.

13. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

I know what you mean ... but could you imagine all the posts from people who left this feature on, then come here to complain that "OMG!! the iPhone battery sucks! I got a txt last night ... and this morning the batter was dead!!"

To which we would all reply "Then turn off feature X"

To which they would reply with "Why should I have to?!"

Rinse and repeat, ad nauseam.

14. Quincy9219 macrumors regular

My point exactly, you can't have it all ways people. The iPhone is not a magic device that can cure cancer and end world hunger with a single app.