Horribly slow browsing on iPad...but just started

Discussion in 'iPad' started by technopimp, Nov 27, 2010.

1. technopimp macrumors 6502a

Within the past week or two, just browsing the web on my 16GB iPad has become unbearably slow. Sites take forever to load (for an example, just bringing up the "new thread" page took over 15 seconds. It's not my wireless or Internet connection because other computers are fine. Loading slickdeals is taking almost a minute. No matter what site I go to the blue loading bar creeps along at a snails pace. I've reset and cleared history, but that seemed to make it worse. I haven't updated to the new firmware because I'm boycotting it until Apple comes to their senses and restores the orientation lock switch. Any suggestions as to what might be slowing it down?

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

That could be a while ;)

3. bentrider macrumors member

Let us know how that works out for ya...

4. jrboddie macrumors newbie

Try running SpeedTest to check internet connection.

It is possible that a neighbor is operating on the same wifi channel causing interference. You can force a channel change on your wireless router.

I experienced a similar problem once and found that wires around the router were interfering with the signal.

May be a long wait for a change to the screen lock. You might as well update. There are significant improvements in performance with YouTube videos.

@MacDawg: good luck with Tech tonight. (from an Auburn fan!)

5. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Its not the wireless-like I said, other laptops on the same network are fine.

6. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

Have you done a power down and restart? (the "hold power and home button until the red slide-to-power-off switch appears" one, not just standby.)

Is it only browsing that's slow?

You could try doing a full backup. Wipe the device clean (factory reset) and try browsing on the totally empty iPad to rule out any software issues. If it works smoothly, then try it again after restoring your data/apps.

You might want to post this in the troubleshooting forum to get more helpful advice.

7. wyneken macrumors regular

Have you tried a different browser? I know they're all built on WebKit but who knows, maybe something has gotten corrupted with Safari.

Also, I'd do the update. Sometimes these things seem to fix seemingly unrelated issues. Clean out the cobwebs and start fresh with a shiny new OS.

8. technopimp thread starter macrumors 6502a

Is there a way to do a restore without putting on the newest version of the OS? I have powered down/on and held down power and home until it reboots with no effect.

9. Don Kosak macrumors 6502a

Don Kosak

I don't believe Apple ever upgrades your OS without asking you.

That said, I haven't gone through a wipe and restore with an older OS. (I've always been restoring to the current OS level from various developer builds of the OS.)

Wiping the device is probably the last thing to try after everything else has been ruled out -- especially if you haven't jaikbroken your iPad. (jail breaking leaves you open to a lot of weird background processes and configuration kruft that can cause odd slowdowns.)