Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jgbatlien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Ok, after getting caught up in the 10/2 pending shipment debacle with AT&T pre-order, I decided to go to my local store and camp. I managed to be in the first 6 folks in line = according to the store reps, enough 6+ for all.

SO after 12+ hours of waiting and suffering, the brain surgeons at the local store let in a whole gaggle of folks whom clamor over one another for the limited 6+'s. Result = people who camp out an entire day = no ip6+ and the people who jump the line at the last minute = happy new ip6+ owners. I was and am still livid

lockerc18

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2012
It's not just AT&T. A friend of mine spent 4.5 hours in line at the NYC Grand Central Verizon store this morning, only to be told that, oh so sorry, but the 6+s are all sold out now.

jgbatlien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
Humans suck. Crowds of humans really suck. Why subject yourself to this?

Indeed, lesson learned. No mas on the camp outs. Best part is the corp folks at AT&T were astonished the launch was run so poorly, and as a result, they offered to do absolutely nothing and told me to start from scratch with my order. Awesome!

redsoxguy676

macrumors regular
Jul 30, 2012
It was actually smooth sailing at my local corporate AT&T store this morning.

Managers handed out some water and coffee and treats to the people in line, and came out to hand out tickets for each iPhone they had in stock. And they only let a limited number of customers in the store until all customers in line were attended to.

It sucks to see some people were screwed out of what they wanted due to a non uniform process this morning!

accountforit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2014
Wow. It seems like AT&T is unorganized and full of ******* employees. How many threads is this just this morning about various stores doing the same thing?

golfdude

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2005
How long before something bad happens to someone or group of people before Apple changes how they do launches. You would think they could almost do what Southwest does, you get a number online at home the day/week before and that's your spot in line. You have a iCloud account, you pick the local Apple store you want to go to, you line up 30 mins before opening. How hard can this be.

Jimbo Asprilla

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2009
That sucks, last year at the 5S launch my local AT&T store got it just right, 30 mins before opening they took the names of the people who had waited outside in order and took their phone preference, when they opened the doors they took people in one at a time and gave them their new phones.

jgbatlien

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 18, 2014
That sucks, last year at the 5S launch my local AT&T store got it just right, 30 mins before opening they took the names of the people who had waited outside in order and took their phone preference, when they opened the doors they took people in one at a time and gave them their new phones.

That is exactly how it should have been done. If I did my job like AT&T does theirs, I'd be begging on the streets.

Bigdawg4

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2012
Actually

We had a rather organized experience this morning. Went to the local AT&T store about an hour before they opened and was about 40th in line. Store employees came out and offered refreshments and took individual names starting with the person who was at the front of the line who had been there since 500 the day before. I was able to upgrade 2 lines with a gold Ip 6 16GB and a Slate Ip 6 64GB and was home by 10am.

aham23

macrumors regular
Oct 31, 2011
this is a problem from the top down. they clearly didnt have a plan and if they did it was either poor, not followed, or both. i really dont understand how top brass couldnt have a set plan weeks in advanced to the launch. dumb.

rjflyn

macrumors regular
Jun 15, 2007
The ideal would be like with pre=orders getting delivered today, both for pick up and home. Let the dust settle for a day. So 1) don't do it on Friday, then the next day do say ATT stores first since they started with Apple and have hung it there, then day 3 let the other carriers and or even the 3rd party seller i.e. Best Buy who have proved to not muck it up next and then on the 4 or 5th day anyone left. Apple could then space out inventory/shipments thusly, and maybe even restock themselves or have their store available for the inevitable dead devices.

desertrat23

macrumors member
Mar 8, 2012
I guess I can't understand why anyone would mess with waiting. People do suck. Why run the risk of getting trampled or screwed out of your order?

Applenoob34

macrumors 6502
Feb 18, 2014
At ATT we had 1 issue. There were only 5 6 pluses. The 5th person in line had had her husband join her right before the store opened. When they let the first 12 in she and her husband somehow got 2 6 pluses before the fourth person could get one. As I was leaving they were still trying to figure out how to make it right for the fourth person. Why they didn't just take one of the phones from the 5th person who's husband cut in line is beyond me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.