Horse and I...

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by floridaoj1, Jan 13, 2011.

1. floridaoj1 macrumors newbie

floridaoj1

Greetings to Macforums..
    Hope everyone is having a great new year...!
    Thought I'd post a video I made a couple days ago... I met this brother and sister in wine country California who shot some fun horse riding video, and they allowed me to us it in mine...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNMqrn7NCFs

2. simsaladimbamba

I like the music and some of the footage, but the transition effects and the text effects (which didn't tell me, that this was a song by Bat for Lashes unless I would know them) are too distracting for me and covering only bad cuts.
    A simple cut is still the most effective transition, though it needs proper footage to do so, as I have experienced with bad footage, where even a cut can't help and I had to use a dissolve.
    But my dislike for those transition effects might come from its home movie feel I get, though I used them a lot for a wedding video I once cut for a friend.

3. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

Nice video. I didn't find the transitions to distracting. Horses for courses I suppose.
    Pun intended!!:D

4. ibennetch macrumors member

Sorry, I've got to agree with simsaladimbamba.

The title transitions don't really fit with the pacing and technique of the rest of the piece. Instead they feel like "OMG! Look what Motion can do!". I too wouldn't know what Bat for Lashes means just by watching the title sequence.

There's what looks like a bad edit, but I suspect it was supposed to be a transition, around 0:03 or 0:03. It looks a bit like you keyed the first shot, looking at the light streaming through the barn doors, but it's abrupt and doesn't seem to fit with the pacing of the rest of the opening sequence. I do really like the first three shot sequence and it works really well even transitioning in to driving through the desert, but you've just set a pace and style that you break away from a few shots later.

A lot of the transitions are very distracting and take away from the footage. For instance, at 1:04, the transitions in and out of the band playing are like twice as long (each) as the band shot itself. It was a bit disruptive, if you're going to change from a horse and field outside to a band playing inside (without really having set a precedent for it earlier), you should give me a few more frames of each band shot to figure out to where I've been teleported.

The shot at 2:18 that lasts for 27 seconds kind of drags things down a bit. The part where she laughs just after your transition is good but sitting on a shot for that long really threw me.

Also, maybe I'm just not getting the point, but the last shot of her in the city didn't make a lot of sense thematically.

In general I did really like your shot selection. The footage was obviously good and you clearly spent a lot of time picking out the good stuff. For the most part, it's put together in a good sequence, too. But the transitions are a bit long and distracting to use for almost every shot change. Sometimes the shot changes don't seem to match the feel of the music, either.

Like I said, good content and shot choices, but the transitions are distracting to me. Clearly a lot of effort went in to this and you picked a lot of the better shots.