Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
This might not be the best place to ask this but, you guys seem to know your stuff. Currently I host 14 sites under my own using Host Gator baby plan. Problem is they only offer 25 connections so when any one of my clients opens Mac Mail.app to check their email using IMAP it opens to many connections right away and takes our sites offline. They have a VPS hosting plan that gives unlimited connections for IMAP but....it is 10 times the cost. Anyone have experience with this and or know of any good alternatives? thanks

SrWebDeveloper

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Alexandria, VA, USA
This might not be the best place to ask this but, you guys seem to know your stuff. Currently I host 14 sites under my own using Host Gator baby plan. Problem is they only offer 25 connections so when any one of my clients opens Mac Mail.app to check their email using IMAP it opens to many connections right away and takes our sites offline. They have a VPS hosting plan that gives unlimited connections for IMAP but....it is 10 times the cost. Anyone have experience with this and or know of any good alternatives? thanks

Yep, you get what you pay for - the cheap plans have many restrictions like that, these are loss-leaders intended to get you to "buy up" when you realize these limitations. It's almost a scam!

Virtually any other VPS or shared web hosting company with a business plan, not the freebie stuff, will give you what you want - and as you spend more money you will discover static IP's, SSL, load balanced/fair share servers as you add on hosts, reseller tools beyond the usual found in CP, and usually better tech support when it counts with better response time.

I'll leave it up to others to make suggestions. I'm just responding generally, FYI and others following.

djsound

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 4, 2006
It's really a shame because they don't even talk about IMAP connections on their packages. I am totally happy with the package I have now. It suits my needs except for the one thing. I just need unlimited connections for email.....what a huge hassle to switch over because of that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.