Hosted Exchange Services for Outlook 2011?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mjt57, Nov 19, 2013.

1. mjt57 macrumors regular

mjt57

Given that we can't sync Outlook calendars via the usual means such as with Google or the internal "iCal" app, I'm looking for an alternative means to sync Outlook 2011's calendars.

Any suggestions or recommendations appreciated.

Please note, this is for my own personal use. I'd like to sync calendars in Outlook between my Mac Mini and my Macbook Air and for them to sync between the iPhone and iPad.

Currently I use Google Calendars to perform this function using the built in calendar apps in the various devices. But I'd much prefer to use Outlook as I think that it's a better application to handle emails, tasks and calendars as an all-in-one solution.

2. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

The cheapest ($4/mo.) hosted Exchange that I know about is Office 365, and I can verify that it works fine with Outlook 2011. Syncs mail, contacts, calendars and tasks (Tasks sync with iOS Reminders). If you don't want to use the default convoluted email address they assign you'll need to own a domain name, which I recommend anyway. Setup of Office 365 and your own domain is more difficult than it ought to be and tech support isn't what I'd describe as great.

If you'd like a much tech support and easier setup situation a service like Sherweb might be the way to go, although it will cost you a bit more.

3. mjt57 thread starter macrumors regular

mjt57

I have an email address which I don't wish to change. So, with O365 do I have to use its assigned email account?

As I own Office 2011 already how do I go using it with O365?

4. smithrh macrumors 68020

smithrh

What kind of email address? Do you own the domain?

If you own the domain, there are plenty of good places that'll handle your Outlook requirements for around $10/month/user. You'll have to edit your (IIRC) MX records to point at the new provider.

5. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

If you own the domain of your email address then you can move it anywhere you want. What happens at Office 365 is that you end up adding the domain to the service, then adding the specific email address. Like smithrh wrote, you'll have to point your MX records to the new host. There's more to it than that, but it's just techinical stuff.

If you don't own your email address domain then you won't be able to use hosted Exchange for that email. You could use Office 365 for Calendars, Tasks and Contacts in Outlook 2011 and just ignore the email part, using IMAP for where your email is currently hosted. This may not work so great but I'm thinking the problems would be minor. Calendar invites may be an issue, for example. If this is what you think you might want to do, you can try it out for a month for free with Office 365.

Once you've got Office 365 and your domain host (only if you have one) set up properly getting the account into Outlook 2011 is automatic via autodiscover.

6. mjt57 thread starter macrumors regular

mjt57

Thanks for your suggestions, folks. It's appreciated.

My email account is the one which my ISP provides. Plus, I use a Gmail account as well (and its associated Google Calendar service).

Anyway, I'm giving Thunderbird a go. I've installed the Lightning and another addon so the Calendar in T'Bird syncs with GCal. Seems to work pretty good and the email side of things is a vast improvement over that of the MacOS Mail app.

If T'Bird doesn't work out I'll revisit Office 365...