hosting a webcam in iweb

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Ruffian829, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Ruffian829 macrumors 6502

Is it possible to forward a webcam stream to my iweb page? I have it all set up (to watch my dogs) to my router and hosted on Panasonic's viewnetcam.com but I wanted to have it hosted on an iweb page (I cannot get onto panasonic's website while I'm on my school's secure server... which was the whole reason for getting the webcam- to watch them while I'm at school...in between classes of course ;-))

I am not a technical person and don't understand a whole lot about html, codes, widgets, etc (although i was pretty proud of myself for getting the camera to broadcast.. after multiple phone calls to the company and the internet providers...)

if this could be done in an easier way though a website that is more likely easily viewed through a firewalled / secure network I'd be up for that as well...

thanks so much :)

2. Ride9650 macrumors 6502

I might be wrong, but I don't think iweb can handle web cams.

An easy and free way to do it would be to make a Processing program.

First get Processing at www.processing.org.

The code is very simple for what you're looking to do and can be found here:
    http://processing.org/learning/libraries/gettingstartedcapture.html

Once you export the program, Processing automatically creates a web page with your program already loaded in. I imagine you can take it from here and get everything uploaded to your web server.

One possible problem is that, you might not have as much control over the camera as you'd like, the code basically just spits out what the webcam sees.

3. 2manyg macrumors newbie

Hi I use Security Spy for this, it's designed for CCTV, but the plus is you can watch the cameras from anywhere with a net connection- check it out:
    www.bensoftware.com/ss

4. Ruffian829 thread starter macrumors 6502

security spy won't work while I'm at school either- the school blocks websites that use ports... or something like that (I don't really understand it all, but they said I cant see my camera because it probably uses some strange port and those are blocked)
    I was hoping to get it streaming through a website that I CAN view while at school... I can use my phone and view via 3G network browsing but it seems to really kill my battery...

5. SrWebDeveloper macrumors 68000

SrWebDeveloper

Try the following ports which your school might not have blocked:

BTW, even if the school doesn't block it, some ISP's do as well. I did some research and found someone tried hooking up a webcam with iWeb:

That's what they said, I've not tried it, and there still might be port blocking issues when its all said and done. Figured if it might help ya I should post it, no promises it'll work or is easy.

-jim