Hosting and SEO Advice

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by GottaQ, Sep 7, 2010.

1. GottaQ macrumors newbie

I'm looking for recommendations of good hosting with affordable SEO prices.

I have been with GoDaddy which gets the job done, however it feels bulky and their SEO options seem pricey. Any reputable options that are "lighter" and more reasonable in terms of SEO?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Good SEO should be achieved through content and design, not through a hosting service.

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

By SEO, do you mean, Search Engine Optimization? I personally have never found anything worth paying for that I couldn't do myself. All SEO programs I've seen are essentially scams, with the exception of Rage's iWeb SEO Tool, which is free. And that's mostly because iWeb doesn't let you do much of anything SEO related from the app since you can't access the code directly. Maybe others have had a different experience.

4. GottaQ thread starter macrumors newbie

Really? I thought there was a system or feature that allowed me to enter certain keywords and phrases that helps my standing in search engines. If I have a business with only one competitor, I'd be willing to pay x amount of dollars to benefit my search engine ranking over my competition. Hosting services don't offer these type of options?

Thanks for the responses by the way.

5. manueld macrumors 6502

I would suggest google analytics to see keywords that people are utilizing to find your site and then massage your content to improve your ranking. There's alot of aspects to SEO including proper html markup that can affect your SEO ranking.

6. GottaQ thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay fair enough. Thanks

7. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

They may very well offer it but it would most likely be a scam.

8. designguy79 macrumors 6502

Or, they could be marking up a pay-per-click ad campaign. I have seen this before.

@GottaQ - have you read up on SEO much? I would recommend this:

http://www.searchengineguide.com/jim-hedger/seo-101-basic.php

There is no one particular tool, service or method, but rather a collection of things than translate into a good ranking. (and even then, there some markets it is seemingly impossible to break in to)

Here is my personal formula on what makes a good "SEO-able" web site (and yes, the order here is important)

1) Fresh or unique content that people will want to link to

2) A market exists that isn't over-crowded

3) Easy-to-navigate web site to encourage people to stay and click around for additional content. The actual design itself is not as important as you may think, as long as it looks decent and is easy to use! (although, one could argue this is market-dependent, e.g, graphic designer's or entertainment web site)

4) Well-coded, valid HTML that uses all the little tips for key phrase placement (most people incorrectly put this to the top of the list!)

And then, the real work starts! Do this on a semi-regular basis (this time, only roughly in order)

* Research competitors

* Write new content

* Request incoming links from reputable, high-ranked web sites that would be a natural fit

* Track your visits, see what keywords people are clicking to your site from

* Tweak the pages that are not getting hits to follow the pattern of the ones that are (keyphrase placement, ratio to other content, etc)

* "Wait" for Google to index/crawl your site (Google actually takes length of domain name registration in to account, so I hear!)

* Repeat ad nauseum!

I am definitely open to hear others thoughts on how my general outline could be improved.

~ Jeremy

9. design-is macrumors 65816

design-is

Jeremy - seems like you've got it about right to me!

As outlined by others, it's rare to find anyone/any company which offers something worthwhile that you can't do yourself.

Having said that, if you don't have the time or inclination to look into it yourself, you could take a look at Heart Internet - I use them for some hosting and they seem to have some reasonable looking "Search Engine Submission" services - which might be more up your street? (find details under Hosting and choose Search Engine Submission from the right side bar).

Hope that helps a little.

Cheers

/Doug

10. Sean Dempsey macrumors 68000

Sean Dempsey

I do proper SEO as part of my business, and have taken pages that were in the 300-400 range of the Google results, and moved them into the 1-5 range.

SEO is an art. You can't just "learn to do it" yourself, nor can a company just "SEO your site" like it's a meat-grinder or food-processor.

SEO is 50% research, 30% knowledge, and 20% UX and IA design. If you are serious about it, find a reputable company or individual who does it as their job, and has a before/after portfolio of what they did, and how they did it.

You should spend as much money on SEO as you did on paying to have your site built, and you should have paid as much to have it built as you did to have a proper UX and IA plan.

But no one ever does a site properly.