Hosting from Home Help (2Wire modem)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by DoFoT9, Jun 12, 2009.

1. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

Hello everyone!

I have been vigourously trying to find answers to my problems but nothing is helping.

I am starting a small business and would like to try hosting it from home before I think about externally hosting it however I can't get it to host!

I am using a 2Wire 2071-A brand modem, i have allowed my MBP (the computer hosting) as the "DMZplus" computer, allowing all incoming calls go to it, i am also sharing my website in the "Web Sharing" tab in System Prefs.

I can locally get onto my website, but if i try to type in my external IP it just times out.

Can anybody please light my situation? I'm stumped.

Thanks heaps, DoFoT9.

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

The way I use to do it. Cable modem to my router. Router set to forward port 80 to my web server. MAMP setup on web server and setup for using port 80. That was it really. I didn't use Mac's sharing settings.

3. AmpCoder macrumors 6502

What port are you hosting the website on? 80? Some ISP's block that port as hosting a website is in violation of their ToS. You may want to try changing the port setting to 8080 and see if that works.

4. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thanks or you replies guys, i had to go to bed sorry i took so long to reply aha

we are on ADSL, so its like::

phone line -> modem/router -> Time Capsule -> computers (ether via ethernet or wireless, my laptop is ethernet).

i forwarded port 80 to my laptop and it just times out.

im not sure how to specify a port to share, but the router has port 80 going to my MBP. i have already tried port 8080 but had no luck either.

thanks heaps guys

5. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

I think you'll need to tell the router to forward port 80 to the time capsule, and have the time capsule forward port 80 to your laptop. I found this page for port forwarding on the time capsule, if you need it. I've never messed with time capsule though, but this should work.

Also, to properly test your setup you'll want to enter your outside IP address, the one assigned to the router.

6. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

thanks! ill try port forward the TC now, i already have been typing in my outside IP address, but i wont post it here ;)

7. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

back again, i have been trying pretty hard to port forward modem -> Time Capsule then to computer however the guide that was given was old and things have changed, it now only allows IPv6 port forwarding and whatnot.

anyway i still tried forwarding it as i was told and it didnt work :(

so i installed apache onto my PC (home xp2) and it is hosting locally however i cannot get to it from any computer ON the network, let alone from outside of it.

any ideas?? :eek:

8. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

How are you trying? The IP of the router or the PC machine? It should work with either if all the port forwarding is setup, otherwise the PC's IP should still work since it'll be addressing it directly.

9. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok i sorted out why i couldnt get to the PC machine from local, the firewall was blocking it! (duh).

everything working locally, however i must still have some errors with my port forwarding because it doesnt work!

my current setup is this (n.b. 10.0.0.12 is the PC machine):

modem/router (forwarding ALL ports to Time Capsule), also forwarding port 80 to 10.0.0.12.

Time Capsule is forwarding everything it recieves to 10.0.0.12

10. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

ok well i figured it out!!!

i disaabled the Local Area Connection in the control panel and turned it back on, it must have talked to the router and got recognised or something blaablaa.

its all working fine, now to get a static IP and a domain name!!!

my outgoing + ingoing data rate sits around 20kbps now though! quite confusing!!

thanks for everyones help!

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

glad you got it to work. before going the static ip route, you might want to try http://www.dyndns.com/. they have a free service that will put your external ip address to a domain name, and update it when your external ip address changes. you just have to run a widget on your mac to update it.

of course, you have to use their domain names. but i use it and it works great.

12. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

great idea thanks for the reply! i did have an account on dyndnd but they get deactivated after 30days :( will give it a go thanks heaps!

13. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah they do get deactivated after 30 days, but all you have to do is click a link in an email when they send you a warning. so not a huge deal

14. wakka092 macrumors 6502

wakka092

FYI, that 2Wire modem is notorious for losing sync when there are too many incoming and outgoing connections.

15. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

last time i got an email from them was about 2 years ago haha so well out of date :p i signed up and it seems to be working from home but my friend cant get it going..

Site - can anybody check it out for me?? its NOT the finished site, we are completely redesigning because we got old of that look

oh and dont i know it! it cuts out WHENEVER the washing machine turns on, so we have to have a backup battery for it and turn that on whenever a load is being put on.. lame

16. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

this widget, is there a PC version for it?? cant seem to find it :-S

EDIT: its ok i found it! right infront of my face as per usual

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

the site works for me. it was a little slow, but works

18. DoFoT9 thread starter macrumors P6

DoFoT9

hosting it off a 1mbps upload link (i really only hit 90kbps) - in australia its much snappier. can i ask what ping you get when you hit it?

generally it will only get people from our area accessing it so hopefully it wont be too much of an issues, the finished site will be smaller too so yea.. hopefully it will work out!