Hosting large email attachments?

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by RedTomato, Apr 30, 2007.

1. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but here goes.

I work for a small theatre company that emails around lots of large files. We've run into problems with our current hosting company due to filling up our mailbox, and limited size of email attachments.

Can anyone recommend a UK hosting company that has large email storage and allows large attachments?

I'm sure designers get this all the time as they send so many large files back and forth.

Many thanks,

RedTomato

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

4. ambient macrumors member

go hostgator.com get a reseller account... get 125gb a month bandwidth i think for $25/month... you can set email attachments to watever size you want.. even up in the gigabytes..can setup your own hosting accounts, emails, databases, mailing lists ect. its all pretty simple too

5. matthewou macrumors newbie

DivShare

I've used this company many times, and it is great.

Free to use for up to 200MB files at a time, with with UNLIMITED storage.

http://www.divshare.com/

a PRO account gets 2GB files for 9.95/month or you pay 99 cents a file if you don't have a pro account.

Great deal, and much faster speeds than ones I had used before.

6. RedTomato thread starter macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Wow, thanks for all the helpful replies!

Google Small Biz seems interesting, I will investigate it - not sure if it is available in the UK or what it costs (not mentioned on the website).

If the groupware apps e.g. calendar, collective doc and spreadsheets etc work well with macs, and also work well offline (i.e. edit offline, and update when next online) then we could have a winner here.

Quickshareit also looks good, nice and simple for the non-techs in the company.

Hostgator, I like the large attachment size, but I think it might be unwise to have our site and all our email go through a USA company (our website audience is 95% UK).

Divshare, thanks for suggesting it, but i think it's too technical for some of our key staff. (I know, it's a simple app, but they're theatre experts, not computer experts, that's why they pay me.)

7. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Email is a bad way to send large files.

Investigate hosting the files on an FTP server and sending only the location and password in the email.

Or if it must be downloaded by many people who you don't want to be able to upload, create a simple Web page and link to the files.

8. danielem macrumors newbie

danielem

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

I'm a HUGE fan of senduit.com (100MB limit, though).

It's from Davidville (the guys behind Tumblr), and couldn't be easier to use. Oh, and it doesn't require an account, either!