Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

maco55

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 28, 2009
I bought a domain name and starting my own blog/porfolio, what's a good, reliable hosting should I go with as a starter?

nfable

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2007
Hostgator and godaddy blow - overcrowded servers and exploits all the time, and you'll be on servers hosting spammy sites which will originate from the same ip as your site whih will work against you.

Site5.com is pretty cool, I use them for web hosting my clients. They're on top of things, just migrated servers to all SSD. Bluehost ain't that bad from my experiences.

If you've never hosted you own before make sure you security is in check, no matter where you host...

If thinking WordPress check these security recommendations.

You could just do a squarspace site and not worry about security / maintaining the nuts n bolts of your web site and focus on the content. With a year hosting, they give you a domain name.

Reactions: kiwipeso1

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Hostgator, like a high number of providers is owned by EIG, which has a awful reputation for hosting. Customer support, is horrid, over promising, under delivering. I would avoid any EIG owned companies.

SparkFlash

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2013
Michigan
I host most recently with Hostgator and MediaTemple. With my media temple account we had went viral on social media over night and quickly had to upgrade. Media temple took care of this quickly and easily over the phone. They earned a lot of my respect quickly. Made me look like a hero for the client involved. Hostgator I consider lower end and it does its job. No real issues with them. So if I had to vote for one, Mediatemple.

iPaintCode

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2012
Metro Detroit
Media Temple is one of the better hosting companies but in today's market they're overpriced. (Unless you take FULL advantage of a shared plan's options) If you're just doing a static site (well you can go get clever and add CMS like features) there's always github pages via github.com. My favorite host and has been getting better and better is DigitalOcean, they offer so many configurations for a low price but it's a little more savvy since it does require more configuration, hope you know CLI. DigitalOcean even makes it cake to setup a server that fits your needs, MEAN stack or just Node, RoR, WP (if that's your thing) and a ton of other options.

Though if you're going static you really can't beat github pages.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
My favorite host and has been getting better and better is DigitalOcean, t
I recently signed up to DO and I've been happy, admittedly my needs are very simple but they were very helpful in getting my site off the ground. Even though its unmanaged, there's plenty of KB articles, and if you get stuck, they were there to help.

Reactions: iPaintCode

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
I was with Hostgator for many years but recently switched to A2 Hosting, they seem alot better and faster. Almost a year now since the switch.

MechaSpanky

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
I used Bluehost before and I was very happy with them. The prices were decent (I don't know if they were the cheapest but very reasonable) and the customer service was good. I had a pretty good experience using them.

MonsterUniverse

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2015
I bought a domain name and starting my own blog/porfolio, what's a good, reliable hosting should I go with as a starter?

If you use blog (wordpress) then you can find hosting provider that support Wordpress. I have good experience with asphostportal. Other option is WPEngine, but they are expensive.

Michael Anthony

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2012
Australia
Hostgator and Bluehost are good but I don't have a lot of experience with them, Godaddy can be a bit confusing and expensive if you want performance, but it's what I've settled with for a lot of sites and once you get used to its' quirks I haven't had any major issues, the one time I did call tech support it was probably the best tech support call I've ever come across, and I've never had any downtime because of issues on their end. I do pay $10/month extra for a dedicated IP address though and more on top of that for extra resources, if you want pure performance and know what you're doing, Hurricane Electric (he.net) does very well and I've combined it with a domain name from Godaddy before. I think I got 6 IP addresses and was paying $150USD/month for a dedicated server

960design

macrumors 68040
Apr 17, 2012
Destin, FL
Namecheap.com is really good.
Just thought I'd add it to the mix as it had not been mentioned yet.

I've used GoDaddy ( nearly forked my brain through my eye socket on that account ), Justhost, HostGater, Bluehost ( and they are great (even fantastic) for low bandwidth sites.

Good luck

[syntax error]

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

Seriously, how many people will read your blog? How many of them will be reading simultaneously? I assume just a handful at best. If you have a good internet connection at home. Buy a $200 Sinology NAS and put the site on that at your home.

dolphin842

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2004

GitHub or GitLab can host a statically-generated blog/website for free. You can even generate the site server-side if you want (using Jekyll on GitHub or pretty much any static site generator on GitLab).

If you're looking to use WordPress or a similar server-side setup, then you'd need to go the traditional hosting route. NearlyFreeSpeech.net is probably the cheapest way to get started, as you pay only for the storage/bandwidth/resources you actually use. Their pings seem worse than other options (60ms vs. 20ms from my location), and you have to pay for support, but if you know your way around a command prompt or even just basic FTP, you shouldn't need it. They have a lot of documentation for their control panel as well.

yaboyjay65

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2016
A Small Orange. Best people EVER. Awesome customer service, they're always kind and prompt... live chat is great. Also, they're inexpensive and you get a lot of bang for the buck. You can install any platform you want too!

asmallorange.com

KarmaRocket

macrumors 6502
Jan 4, 2009
Brooklyn, NY
I'm with Site5 right now, but considering switching to siteground.com

Siteground seems to get good reviews and still an independent company, as far as I know. Site5 got bought out by a company that is buying a lot of other hosting companies and that usually bothers me, as service and features seem to go down.

JamieLion

macrumors newbie
Apr 22, 2016
Hello,

If you want to be hands on digital ocean is brilliant. I host a couple of client projects there.

For the more boring stuff where i want to be hands off i use a shared account on www.ukwsd.com as they have very modern hardware in a decent datacenter and the support is very very knowledgable and helpful. They have saved my butt at 2am on a deadline a few times.

Jamie + Lion

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
A Small Orange. Best people EVER. Awesome customer service, they're always kind and prompt... live chat is great. Also, they're inexpensive and you get a lot of bang for the buck. You can install any platform you want too!

asmallorange.com
ASmallOrange used to be good, I wouldn't recommend them anymore. When I left ASO I tried out two companies, EuroVPS and WebFaction. I'm still with WebFaction.

As @maflynn says, EIG companies (ASmallOrange belongs to them) should be avoided.

NormaWatts

macrumors newbie
Aug 31, 2018
Petworth,UK
If you are confused to choose a web hosting provider. While surfing on internet I got this video guide of seeing it here Top Web Hosting Companies Review 2018 guide.

Reactions: Alch3mist
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.