Hosting website with my .Mac Account... (issues)

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by xob, Feb 6, 2008.

1. xob macrumors member

xob

I have had various sites before reflecting my various states in creative development over the years and am about to put up a new and improved site for my new graphics work etc. I have a domain registered and the site basically done and was intrigued with the idea of using my .mac account to servethe site. Why pay $ to host a site when I alread pay 100/per year for .mac?

So I do some research and find that it isnt thats simple. Apperently I need 'iweb' to do this? Can someone clarify the whole process to me? It seems convuluted by design. Thanks for the help in advance!!!

:):confused::mad:

2. xob thread starter macrumors member

xob

If were to just drag my site over into the "sites" folder on my idisk, how am I do link it up with the registry to link it to my registered domain name?
    How is this typically done, if at all?

3. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

My registrar offers DNS redirects, where you can redirect a domain to a different URL (such as web.mac.com/you). They also offer a stealth mode, where the URL never changes as you navigate the site which I think is just accomplished via a frameset. Perhaps yours offers the same?

4. xob thread starter macrumors member

xob

So there isn't a dedicated DNS number the corresponds to my .com account. People seem complain about the access speed as well and that wont do for a graphics intensive site like mine. anyone else have input or experience they can share?