Hosting

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Silver-Fox, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Silver-Fox macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

i have just seen 1&1 web hosting and think i might sign up, how ever i saw that it had a linux hosting and microsoft, i am assuming i need the linux version? if anyone uses them be happy to know what package you use and what you use to put your site up?

thanks

2. bmcgonag macrumors 65816

bmcgonag

If they are web hosting, shouldn't matter what they use on their end as far as software...you may want to make sure they support php, perl, cgi, ssl, asp, etc.

SSL may not even be that important if you aren't doing e-business, or sending info that needs to be encrypted.

also php, perl, anc asp will depend on whether you plan to have any of that on your site.

But basically a host is just someone who allows you to keep your site on their servers, so a mac user can upload their files to a linux server, mac server, windows server, whatever, and everything should work fine. maybe some people just have a preference.

Best,

Brian

3. Silver-Fox thread starter macrumors 65816

Silver-Fox

thanks for that, im pretty sure ill just buy the basic package and if all goes wrong ill just cancel it ^_^

4. tyr2 macrumors 6502a

tyr2

I have one of their dedicated server accounts. It's pretty nice especially the (almost) unmetered bandwidth and the remote admin tools (serial console, remote reboot etc..). I manage this myself tho, I don't know what the managed packages are like.

5. Nicolasdec macrumors 65816

Nicolasdec

Do you have the US or the UK version? I tried to buy a 1&1 hosting account in the uk but it wouldent work. I want the us version (more bandwidth) but it had to use the UK version. So now im with Godaddy (whitch is great)

6. snickelfritz macrumors 65816

snickelfritz

I use ICDsoft.com for most of my clients.
    No-nonsense hosting with lots of features and good support.

I use Adobe GoLive and Fetch for uploading files to the server.