Hot and loud

Discussion in 'iMac' started by curtoise, Feb 20, 2012.

1. curtoise macrumors 6502a

How hot and loud (spinning fan ) will the base 21.5 iMac will get by doing everyday tasks and playing some casual browser games, flash websites and Mac App store games?

2. leman macrumors 604

You probably won't hear anything. As to the heat... don't cover it with paper towels and it should be fine. It would probably be rather "warm" to touch when doing some intensive work. But why would you want to touch it anyway?

3. ChristianJapan macrumors 68040

ChristianJapan

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One thread is sufficient. You don't need to start multiple threads on the same topic.

5. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

No it is not, as the other thread if for the Mac mini and this is the iMac forum, it would be wrong for me to post iMac questions in the mini forum, I'm ready to purchase the mini or base iMac and I want to be sure I'll get the right computer.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You could have asked all these questions in the first thread you started on Mac minis, as they all relate to one purchase decision. The answers are the same for both models, as I already said in the other thread. There is no difference in how Mac computers deal with heat. They all spin fans faster when system demands increase.

7. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I did before with a different question and god forbid if you ask a mixed question in a forum that is not the right one, the wrath of the gods will come and shut me down.

Basically and that's why I've started the thread(s) is that I'm ready to order in Amazon the $762 mini or the base 21.5 $1132 iMac , even if you are telling me that they are all macs and they will behave the same they are entirely totally different computers and hardware, I just want to know how they will react and purchase the correct computer for the family. It looks like you have both computers, can you tell the difference and if the iMac will be less prone to fan spinning?
    Thanks for your answer in both forums

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not here. You can ask as many questions in one thread as you like. If you're considering and comparing several models, you could have posted in the Buying Tips and Advice forum, but it's fine where you are.
    They aren't the same computer, but if you place high demands on either system, temps will rise and fans will spin faster. This is true of any computer, Mac or otherwise. There's no way to know in advance how much demand your particular workload will place on any computer. If you're frequently engaging in intensive gaming, you'll probably be happier with a PC that's built for gaming. If you're doing what most people do: surf the web, check emails, watch YouTube videos, and occasionally play games, any Mac model will work fine.

9. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you I guess I will go for the mini, do you think the changes will be significantly big on 2012? My son needs a computer for school and I'll hate to wait until the summer.

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Only Apple knows what's coming.

11. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

But what is the rumor? :)

12. simsaladimbamba

There is a thread about those here in the very same sub-forum.

Anyway, rumours point to a faster CPU and a faster and better GPU, more HDD and SSD capacity and probably better displays.

13. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

14. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

15. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The mini is very well suited as a media server. I also use it with Plex to manage and play movies and TV shows on my HDTV.

16. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you, I was thinking on using the mini to server files to the Apple TV, are you bypassing the Apple TV and just have the mini?

17. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, exactly. The mini has far more capabilities than the ATV.

18. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

I get your point and I would love to have this but this setup is for a family room to be managed by vids-wife, Apple is king on simplicity and the Apple TV it is very simple and we use Airplay a lot for kids videos, photos, music, etc I wonder how Airplay can be achieved with the mini also how the whole rental movie process will work.

Right now it is 2 clicks on Apple TV and everything works.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Buy whatever you want. You asked what I was using, so I answered.

20. curtoise thread starter macrumors 6502a

Of course I will, thanks!

21. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

For me, hot and loud only seems to be a problem with laptops, not desktops. When I'm preforming intensive tasks on my iMac the fan doesn't rev up at all, and the outer body of the computer stays relatively cool. When preforming the same tasks on my MacBook Pro the fans max out and it is uncomfortably hot to the touch. I guess the iMac just has way more space to dissipate the heat...