Hot Chocolate Drinkers?

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
Are there any hot chocolate drinkers in here?

I love some hot chocolate and like to have it some mornings when its cooler out at work, but struggling to find some good pods for the keurig!

Everything I try is just really watered down and has a slight chocolate taste so I figured I would see if anybody here has any favorite keurig pods that they like!

Reactions: newellj

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Keurig doesn't offer a milk system apart from a frother, IIRC. What you're asking for is hot cocoa. Hot chocolate is made using milk and chocolate, hence the name. Hot cocoa uses sugar, milk solids and sugar, and often confused with hot chocolate.

npolly0212

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 21, 2015
If you love hot chocolate, why not make it from scratch?
All I have at work is a keurig, so all i can do.

Keurig doesn't offer a milk system apart from a frother, IIRC. What you're asking for is hot cocoa. Hot chocolate is made using milk and chocolate, hence the name. Hot cocoa uses sugar, milk solids and sugar, and often confused with hot chocolate.
You are correct. I love it with milk but dont have that option currently so some hot cocoa

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
All I have at work is a keurig, so all i can do.

You are correct. I love it with milk but dont have that option currently so some hot cocoa
There's decent powder packets out there. Not stuff you'd find at typical stores. Do you have a membership to either Sam's or Costco? They often sell Starbucks (bear with me) brand hot cocoa branded as hot chocolate. It's supposedly good, but I've never tried it. Could also try Trader Joe's or Whole Foods. Or Amazon really. Ghirardelli's packets are a safe bet.

Reactions: russell_314

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Starbucks used to sell these boxes of "hot chocolate" cubes that were excellent. They were about 1/4" little blocks, heated the milk on the stovetop, added them in, like 2-3 tbsp per serving, it was really rich and delicious, and they had one with little mint bits too. Definitely the closest thing I've had to a full on from scratch version.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Starbucks used to sell these boxes of "hot chocolate" cubes that were excellent. They were about 1/4" little blocks, heated the milk on the stovetop, added them in, like 2-3 tbsp per serving, it was really rich and delicious, and they had one with little mint bits too. Definitely the closest thing I've had to a full on from scratch version.
You sure it was Starbucks? Was this back in the 90s? I thought they got into the hot chocolate game about a decade ago.

Hot chocolate cubes do exist, but they're fairly rare to find.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
No, it was implied there would be cocoa hence the name. I was listing what else goes with it.
Sugar was listed twice so I still think there's a typo and maybe something else, if not cocoa, was meant to replace one of those two instances.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
You sure it was Starbucks? Was this back in the 90s? I thought they got into the hot chocolate game about a decade ago.
It was definitely Starbucks, they sold it in Publix stores, and it was about 10 years ago or so, maybe even 11-12[?]

At some point they discounted it way down and we bought a ton of it, had for a couple of years (figured the shelf life was long).

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
It was definitely Starbucks, they sold it in Publix stores, and it was about 10 years ago or so, maybe even 11-12[?]

At some point they discounted it way down and we bought a ton of it, had for a couple of years (figured the shelf life was long).
I can't find info on it but it wouldn't surprise me if that was a promotional item sold only through Publix. There's a few store food blogs out there that often highlight chain/store specific items and flavors of products.

The only interesting products from them around that time I vaguely recall is their Via instant coffee packets coming out. Butlers makes a product like that, though. It's very niche I suppose since it's not easy to manufacture without it being a mess.

The exclusive angle makes sense. There's been stuff I've seen that only an out of state store carried like Publix, HEB or Bashas.

D.T.

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I looked too! It's like a ghost product ... <scared>

I bet you're right, it was some kind of store specific promo, or maybe it was a direct sales item that wound up at Pubs for "disposal" :D

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
I bought Cadbury's once from an import shop. It was fine but I ended up using it in cakes and a meringue frosting.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I bought Cadbury's once from an import shop. It was fine but I ended up using it in cakes and a meringue frosting.
Well, in my days as a university teacher, I decided to re-visit childhood (and teenager hood) but with a different (and supposedly more sophisticated) twist.

Thus, I tried Valrhona (the upmarket French brand) for hot chocolate.

Now, while the actual chocolate I have always preferred (as chocolate) - even as a child - was dark, and preferably a bit bitter - and thus, I do like Valrhona chocolate, I must say that I arrived at the conclusion that hot chocolate benefits from a flexible attitude to the concept of chocolate purity.

Reactions: Zenithal

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I do enjoy a mug of hot chocolate on occasion. It is definitely my hot drink of choice, as I'm not a coffee or tea drinker.
For me, it is a seasonal drink; roughly, from Hallowe'en, until the end of February, (perhaps mid March if the weather remains cold), I will welcome a hot chocolate in cold weather.

In France, my friends sometimes would consume a large bowl (no, not a mug) of hot chocolate in the morning with their bread and honey and homemade conserve, preserve or jam.

Last edited:
Reactions: kazmac

decafjava

macrumors 68040
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
For me, it is a seasonal drink; roughly, from Hallowe'en, until the end of February, (perhaps mid March if the weather remains cold), I will welcome a hot chocolate in cold weather.

In France, my fiends sometimes would consume a large bowl (no, not a mug) of hot chocolate in the morning with their bread and honey and homemade conserve, preserve or jam.
Was it Banania?

Banania "y'a bon"

Actually almost a breakfast substitute, though "regular" hot chocolate is consumed by our Gallic neighbours. Here of course is the country of Ovomaltine (Olvatine in English-speaking countries).

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Was it Banania?

Banania "y'a bon"

Actually almost a breakfast substitute, though "regular" hot chocolate is consumed by our Gallic neighbours. Here of course is the country of Ovomaltine (Olvatine in English-speaking countries).
Actually, I have no idea.

I saw this (and consumed this beverage) as a teenager when on an exchange to France, when the family served it to me on a week-end morning; the idea of serving a beverage in a bowl, as much as having what they described as "hot chocolate" for breakfast were two novelties I had not encountered until then.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Actually, I blush to recall that I also went through a phase (in my Valrhona days) of trying out the hot chocolate made by Ghirardelli.

Seriously, while I like to indulge in premium products in many other areas of my life, for cocoa/hot chocolate, the tried and trusted offerings from Cadbury's and Bourneville have always worked exceptionally well.

Zenithal

macrumors G3
Sep 10, 2009
Well, in my days as a university teacher, I decided to re-visit childhood (and teenager hood) but with a different (and supposedly more sophisticated) twist.

Thus, I tried Valrhona (the upmarket French brand) for hot chocolate.

Now, while the actual chocolate I have always preferred (as chocolate) - even as a child - was dark, and preferably a bit bitter - and thus, I do like Valrhona chocolate, I must say that I arrived at the conclusion that hot chocolate benefits from a flexible attitude to the concept of chocolate purity.
Hah, I had the same reaction.
- - Post merged: - -

Ghirardelli
They're an alright marque for every day consumption. If I see a large bag for sale at a club store I'll pick it up. Consuming a 120 calorie square of chocolate is considerably healthier than my habit of a late night coffee with a massive slice of cake....!

For work, I'll often order a large box or two from Lindt for each of our locations. I think they go up to 1,000 pieces a box. I think our employees do enjoy a nice truffle or two with an espresso or coffee. It's still a sweet food, but I suspect it staves off eating pastries, which I know some stay away from or try to.

Last edited: