Hot Corner Sleep

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Gryz, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Gryz macrumors member

I did a search but didn't see anything related to Hot Corners.

'11 MBP sleeps fine and light blinks when I close the lid and also when I go to the Apple then Sleep.

When I use a Hot Corner, it appears to be asleep, but the light does not pulsate. The same happens when I go to Energy Settings and adjust it to sleep automatically...no blinking.

Brand new Mac. No apps open, nothing installed other than pages and numbers.

Any advice?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Is your hot corner set to sleep, or sleep the display?

3. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Wow, I am an idiot. It is set to sleep the display. I don't even see a setting for regular sleep...

Well then, on the the next issue, sleep light does not blink after 15 minutes when the Mac is supposed to sleep. I read it was a common issue, but didn't see a fix-all solution. Display goes black, but I have no idea how to tell if its asleep...I mean I have to press the power button to wake, so is it safe to say it is really sleeping, but the light just does not work when it sleeps that way?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The pulsing light only works when the computer is asleep, not just the display. If the computer starts sleeping, then wakes later, there are many possibilities.

Mac OS X: Why your Mac might not sleep or stay in sleep mode
    Determine why your Mac wakes up from sleep

5. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I just want the computer to sleep. I am waiting the set 15 minutes but when I come back, the light sleep light it still lit and not pulsing.

I have been reading and do not have any sharing enabled, nor do I have any printing pending...no printer even connected.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It doesn't take 15 minutes to sleep... more like 15-30 seconds. Be sure to check out both links I posted for ideas on what could be waking it/preventing it from sleeping.

7. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

In Energy Saver, I have it set to put the Mac to sleep after 15 minutes.

When 15 minutes arrives, the screen goes black but the sleep light stays on and does not indicate to me that the Mac is sleeping.

None of those fixes are applicable to me. Thanks for the links, but it's brand new and is completely stock. Nothing is checked in sharing and nothing is running.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

When you're testing, it's faster to set the time to 1 minute, rather than waiting 15 minutes. Did you go through everything in the first link? Bluetooth, USB devices, mouse, trackpad, apps, widgets, Spotlight?

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then check to see what may still be running and keeping your Mac awake.

9. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Do not see anything still running.

Changed the times to 1 minute and took a stop watch to it. After a minute the display went to sleep, but the mac only went to sleep at 3 minutes and 45 seconds...

ideas?

10. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

So it did actually go to sleep? If so, that means there must be something keeping it awake. What about the other things I listed? Bluetooth, etc.?

11. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Yep, did eventually sleep, but took almost 3 minutes.

Is this due to Safe Sleep with an 8 gb of RAM? Perhaps it takes that long to write to disk?

After using terminal, it says I am sleeping using hibernate mode 3 which is safe sleep....

Edit: per terminal pmset -g log ----- airport and com.apple.powermanagement.applicationresponse.slowresponse

ideas what those are? Don't understand why airport would be enabled...

12. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

AirPort enables your Mac to connect to your WiFi network.

13. Gryz, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

Gryz thread starter macrumors member

OK, well I tested late into the night. It does go to sleep, just not instantly (around 1.5 - 2.5 minutes later) after the set time in Energy Saver. It does, however, go to sleep instantly if I go to :apple: ---> Sleep and also instantly when I close the lid.

Is that normal behavior then?

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I wouldn't say it's normal, as I've never seen it take that long to enter sleep mode.

15. Gryz thread starter macrumors member

Anything I can check personally to find the problem? I don't live anywhere near an Apple Store or even Retailer...

16. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If it was me, I wouldn't worry about it. I would just recognize that it takes longer to sleep and allow for that. It's not a big enough issue to me to spend a lot of time researching. YMMV

17. saberahul macrumors 68040

The delay is normal. I generally face a minute to 2 lag however I prefer just shutting the lid rather than leaving it open (unless I am doing some important work but for that I do not want my computer to sleep for which I use Caffeine).
    You're right in your second post, it is not possible to set a hot corner to put your computer to sleep. The setting simply sleeps your display and locks your account if you have a password set. Something very handy which works exactly like the WIN+L command on a Windows computer.

18. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

I have no idea what a Hot Corner is but, apropos of nothing, Hot Corner Sleep would be a fairly awesome name for a band.

19. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

20. PurpleMarmalade macrumors regular

21. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Posting a link did not automatically carry with it the presumption that one will click and read it. If you don't want to know, don't click and read. And I didn't use Google. :rolleyes: