Hot!! DIY Antenna Fix + SGP Leather Guard

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dhy8386, Jul 20, 2010.

1. dhy8386 macrumors 6502a

I decided to order some Kapton tape after reading the Anandtech article to shield the antenna from interference. I have tried multiple cases and even the bumper but i just hate adding any bulk to this device. I already have an SGP leather skin guard on the back and an SGP crystal on the front. I had had a precut decal around the phone but it didnt really do much for shielding the antenna.

I took off the decal (which was precut) and laid it ontop of a strip of Kapton tape. Then i took a razor blade and made the cut outs on the tape tracing the cutouts on the decal. This was very very hard to do well but i think i got close enough.

After measuring with speedtest multiple times I can say that the tape is magical. Performs equally as well as if I had a case on the phone. Also am loving the amber/gold look.

Some Pics attached. Sorry they are not the best but am at work. Will update with some higher res ones tonight.

Attached Files:

2. scvkurt03 macrumors newbie

Glad it works, but man that's ugly as hell. To each his own, though!

3. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I don't think it looks that bad, but maybe in a different color. I will be getting a bumper, but who knows when that will be. Until then I just cut a band-aid to the right width and put it over the weak spot. Doesn't work great, but it does help.

4. supershick macrumors member

lmao.....blunt =)

5. dhy8386 thread starter macrumors 6502a

HA. I know it is. Actually think ill cover it with a professional cut metallic silver decal. But i am going to leave the tape on the left antenna since it works so well.

6. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

You spoke my mind.