Hot Hot Hot

Discussion in 'iMac' started by SuperMiguel, Dec 4, 2011.

1. SuperMiguel macrumors 6502

My iMac is extremely Hot behind the camera when i play games... is this normal???

like around the apple logo in the back of it..

this is a 2011 27" iamc 2gb video card and i7 cpu

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. iMac's chassis is made out of aluminum and it will heat up when the innards do to dissipate the heat.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Quite normal. The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat (around 100C/212F - 105C/221F, depending on your processor). iStat Pro will give you accurate readings of your temps, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If they're spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help. Also, make sure you don't block the vents, which are located at the rear, near the hinge.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

4. iCaleb macrumors 6502

5. Spike88 macrumors 6502a

The All-In-One design of the iMac box forces its insides to run hotter - compared to an open box design. IMO, the iMac design does need to allow more internal air flow with larger opening in its top and bottom vents holes. Thus, allowing more free-flow air. Hopefully, the next redesign "box" has better cooling.

If you feel the internals of your iMac run "too hot" (for your liking), simply install SMC Fan Control software (available for free @ http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/23049/smcfancontrol ) and increase its fans by 200 RPMs. 200 RPMs increase is a minor increase and can lower the inside temps by 3-5 C. Sometimes, up to 8-10 C cooling improvement while under heavy lifting tasks. If wondering, I use SMC Fan control within my iMac and its insides are now "much cooler". As we know, cooler insides means longer life and possible less system hangs (same rule applies to vehicle engines as well).

As a minimum DIY "venting improvement" task, simply remove the underbelly memory cover (3 x simple screws). One doesn't see this underbelly cover anyway. Removing this cover allows more air flow into its underbelly - which helps cool its insides as well.

6. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

I second SMC Fan Control. It's a simple and handy tool. Whenever I am watching videos or playing games for an extended amount of time, I use SMC Fan Control to bump up the fan by a little (anywhere from 300-400 additional RPM), enough to help with the high temps but still remain relatively quiet.

About this though, I'm wondering, does this increase the intake of dust too from the open air flow?