Hot hot MBP (Late 2008)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by LightReaper, Oct 2, 2012.

1. LightReaper macrumors newbie

So my Macbook Pro from late 2008, one of the first unibody designs, is running a little hot. It's using the 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo and using the Nvidia GeForce 9600M GT. I monitor everything with iStat.

I typically have a few light apps open and Google Chrome, at that my CPU temp is 74ºC and the GPU is 98ºC, that's with both fans at max. When I start to watch videos online or on the computer or do some heavy processing, the CPU can get up to 111ºC, but averages 90º - 102º. The GPU usually is in the 100ºC range. With too much open and watching 1080P videos, the computer shuts down for being too hot. Again, I always run my fans at max, about 6200 RPM.

This to me doesn't seem normal, but maybe this thing just gets hotter over time. :confused:

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I suspect either you're mistaken about some of the temps or your sensors are faulty, as your Mac sould shut down if temps reach about 105C.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

If you're not already using it, iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) will give you accurate readings of your temps and fan speeds, among other things.

Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.

It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.

Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level.

If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.
    (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)

The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best.

Learn about the fans in your Mac
    Apple Portables: Operating temperature

For Flash-related issues:

3. LightReaper thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm using iStat Menus and the computer will shut down if the CPU gets to 112ºC. When playing HD videos, the temp is anywhere between 107ºC - 111ºC.

Also, if the Macbook Pro is just booted up with only Finder open, the idle CPU temp is about 57ºC. I've never seen it any lower than that.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It sounds like there is something wrong with your Mac, as it should be shutting down before it reaches those temps. If I recall correctly, the Tjmax on the older CPUs was 100C. I'd take it in and have it serviced before you fry your CPU/GPU.

5. LightReaper thread starter macrumors newbie

I'll get on that then. It's been at least 15 times that the thing has gotten too hot and was automatically put to sleep