Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GimmeSlack12

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 29, 2005
San Francisco
I'm having a tough time importing CD's into iTunes 4.9 . There are times when I can import a CD extremely quick (at 10x) and then some songs get hung up and either import very slow (.5x) or just stall altogether and I have to force quit out of iTunes. When I do eject the disc it is physically hot, I'm curious if anyone has had this occur. Its an iBook 1.33 12" (just got it).

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Are the CDs dirty?

What are you encoding at?

Is iTunes set to use error correction?

My iBook imports just fine all the time at 160kbps MP3 with error correction turned off. :)

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Have you tried the same thing with the same discs in another computer? I have some CDs that import quickly and some slowly too, and I think that it is due to the dynamic balance of the CD -- that is, how true the plane of the disc is. If a disc is slightly warped or wavy or has a sticker on one side or something like that, even if it is not perceptible to the eye, it can generate a lot of vibration and so on when it is spinning at high speed.... I think you should find that the same CD consistently rips quickly or slowly, although a CD that rips at <1x is pretty sketchy.... :eek:

Also, occasionally (two CDs out of about 250), I have had CDs that either rip funny (with pops and clicks and hiss) or will not rip. I don't know what causes that. At the time, when I had just bought my iBook, I actually ripped the CDs on my desktop PC. :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.