hot in xp

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexboy45, Nov 11, 2008.

1. alexboy45 macrumors regular

i have just purchased a new 2.53 15" mac book pro and love it. i have installed boot camp with windows xp as i need it for work. my question is. in windows the macbook seems to run a hell of a lot hotter than in osx. is this normal. i am sorry if this is in the wrong forum.

thanks

just found another post ignore this one

2. prism macrumors 6502a

This is normal and it just shows how inefficient XP as an operating system is!

3. Namnorkimo macrumors member

If you don´t need the full cpu power, you can use the "SpeedswitchXP" tool to reduce the cpu speed. The book cooles down then and gets a lot quieter than before. So you can play older games like "Machines" by acclaim without any fan noise on a white MacBook. :)

4. kousuke18 macrumors regular

both the cpu and gpu should throttle down when not doing any demanding tasks, even in windows. Make sure you have all the updated bootcamp drivers and video card drivers. My penryn mbp does run a little hotter in windows but not substantially hotter.

5. cg165 macrumors regular

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The reason it runs hotter is because windows only used the 9600m and in OSX you can use the 9400 which will produce much less heat. I use vista on
    mine so I'm not sure if there are heat differences between the two. I don't notice, typically the machine is dead silent in both unless I'm pushing it.

Keep the back end of your system elevated and heat isn't a problem.

6. Mackan macrumors 65816

Not necessarily true. Apple provides a couple of drivers for Windows via BootCamp. How do you know they care to provide really good drivers? Apple has also shown in the past that they like to downclock hardware (to generate less heat at cost of performance). Perhaps they do it in OS X, but didn't bother about supporting it in Windows. Point is, I wouldn't jump to an immediate conclusion that Vista or XP are inefficient OSs. I would like to know the truth, but we can only speculate, since Apple likes to keep things secret...

Edit: and yes 9600M is used in Windows, since for some reason 9400M is not allowed to be seen in Windows...

7. alexboy45 thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for all of the replies. as far as i know i am using the latest drivers 2.1. i have noticed that it is hotter than in OSx when only just being used. nothing major just office apps. it is probably down to the vga as i have the 9400m turned on in mac until i need the extra power. i just found it strange.

8. prism macrumors 6502a

Errr, afaik Apple uses intel/nvidia chipsets and as such uses drivers provided by those manufacturers. As for the GPU, windows defaults to 9600m which generates more heat than the 9400m, but that does not explain the additional heat with WinOS since I get more heat under WinOS on my single GPU MBPSR than under MacOS.

9. DeLoMan macrumors regular

Is anyone else here lucky if they get an hour and 20 minutes of battery life in XP on the new late 08 MBP? I get roughly 4 and a half hours in OS X, but XP really sucks the battery dry on my MBP. Just wondering if this is normal.

10. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

themoonisdown09

I fixed your post... you're welcome.

11. DeLoMan macrumors regular

Haha, that answered my question. Thanks.

12. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

XP is only efficient as the drivers you provide. Same with OSX. Without drivers, you'd say OSX is pretty inefficient also.

The ACPI for Windows is generic last time I checked. This does cause some problems with heat management and power consumption. And the 9600GT video card is being utilized instead of the 9400M

13. Fidgetyrat macrumors regular

The 9600 is actually one of the main culprits in this problem. Do a benchmark in OSX depending which GPU you use For me its like this:

CPU/GPU Temperatures on 9400M: ~47C
    CPU/GPU Temperatures on 9600M: ~60C

And that is completely IDLE. The case itself is even much warmer to the touch just enabling the 9600.

Not only does the 9600 generate more heat then the 9400 natrually, but remember, the 9400 is built into the chipset, so the memory controller, etc, are all sharing the same space. Enabling the 9600M just means you now have an Extra chip producing its own heat ON TOP OF the heat from the chipset itself.

I agree though. It gets blazing hot under XP.

14. Lavezzi macrumors member

As it has been said before, my instincts would lead me to believe it is the fact that the 9600M is running instead of the 9400M. Does anyone have any news or information as to whether we will have the oppertunity to switch between the two in windows?

Would it not be possible to use similar drivers that are being used in other hybrid PC Laptops which have been released recently? The heat whilst running XP is kind of pissing me off to be honest.

15. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Is there a place to get updated drivers? Apple or otherwise?

16. Lavezzi macrumors member

I just downloaded Coretemp and measured the temperature whilst running XP under 3% load and the results were 68oc. That is not right, it feels way too hot and must be damaging the internal components (if not now then when I’m running a CPU/GPU intensive program).