Hot Ipad 3 - Possible Fix

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Mechinyun, Mar 30, 2012.

1. Mechinyun macrumors 6502

Got my Ipad 3 yesterday, it was literally burning up straight out of the box with minimal web surfing. Not mildy warm mind you.. but HOT.

I did a discharge of the battery down to 0 and once it came back up to about 10 percent charge I did a fresh reinstall of IOS as new. (I also cut off bluetooth and a few location based services)

COOL as a cucumber now. Warmth is not even noticeable.

Give it a shot.. YMMV.

2. SporkLover macrumors 6502

I don't have that problem because I only use mine in a freezer.... When I'm away from home I use frozen gel packs.

3. BigMcGuire Contributor

BigMcGuire

Glad to see I'm not the only one that does this. I have some at work, home, and even at the parent's house now. I've been hearing that the sale of frozen gel packs are going up around the nation because of iPad 3 overheating issues.

On another note, it would be interesting to see what app, setting, or whatever causes "overheating."

4. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

The app/setting/whatever that causes it is the retina display.

5. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

6. chakraj macrumors 65816

chakraj

7. Redneck-Randy macrumors member

Hope your joking.

Putting a hot iPad in the fridge will cause moister buildup inside the iPad because of the aluminum back.

8. Sherifftruman, Mar 30, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 31, 2012

Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

Mine was never what I would say hot, more like a bit warm, compared to the iPad 2. It does seem like it is getting less warm as the days and recharges go by. Not sure if that's real or I'm just getting used to it though.

9. Redjericho macrumors 6502a

I heard the best thing you could do is drain the battery from 100 to 0 on the first boot up without ever charging it, which is what I'm doing right now.

10. Mechinyun thread starter macrumors 6502

Thats what I did too + the reinstall.

11. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

If it was really that hot, I'd exchange it. Mine never got above "warm" to the touch, even before fully discharging the battery the first time.

12. Mechinyun thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm evaluating it still.. other than that issue which hopefully got resolved with what I did, its a perfect unit with the screen, colors and backlighting. If it comes back.. will def return for a new one.