Hot iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ssl0408, Nov 5, 2014.

1. ssl0408 macrumors 65816

I just received an iPhone 6 space gray today and after only using it for an hour it's very hot. I haven't installed any apps, just the normal iCloud setup. It's been hot the whole time I've been using it (1 hour). I know this isn't normal. Should I already think about replacing it after such a short time of use? Thanks for any input.

2. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Feels like something is running in the background. Have you tried factory restoring the phone and setting up as a new device? Did you previously restore from back up?

If you are restoring from a back up, it's likely it's installing apps and what not.

3. ssl0408 thread starter macrumors 65816

I set the phone up as new and did not restore from a backup. That's why I'm so surprised it's running hot.

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

Clearly there something wrong if you aren't even using your phone and it remains to be hot. I'd say take it back, get a new one.

5. ssl0408 thread starter macrumors 65816

It is so frustrating because I've had it for two hours and it has to go back already!! Lol. Thanks for the advice.

6. dotme macrumors 6502a

Too soon to take it back. Look at battery usage by app. Normally, if it's hot, it's also eating battery so the culprit should be easy to identify.

7. ET iPhone Home macrumors 68040

ET iPhone Home

LOL! Welcome to Apple. I'd return it. Is there any bending?

8. ssl0408 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have only been using the Settings app and iMessage. Surely those aren't making it hot.

----------

No bending but I do notice that it came from the F1 factory. Isn't that supposed to be the bad one or something?

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Give it a day. Could be indexing still. Check back in tomorrow.

10. dotme macrumors 6502a

You set up iCloud. A sync loop would be a possibility. Turn it off. I stand by my earlier recommendation. Could it be hardware? Yes, but more likely software. Return your phone and you could end up with one that has other problems. It's a lottery, that's all.

11. Newtons Apple macrumors P6

Newtons Apple

Give it some time. If still hot tomorrow, return it. Sounds like it is syncing with the cloud. I remember my 6 got "warm", not hot when I first intialized it.

let us know if it cools off by Thursday.

12. ssl0408 thread starter macrumors 65816

I let the battery drain out and charged it to 100%. I'll give it another day. Thanks again for the advice.

13. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

I had this. I turned off iTunes automatic updates for purchases and updates and it stopped almost immediately.

14. ssl0408 thread starter macrumors 65816

I have those settings turned off as well so I don't think that's the issue in my case, but thanks for the suggestion.

15. Farsider, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2014

Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Hot iPhone 6

Shame.

If you have the iOS dev kit, you can connect your iPhone to your Mac and it'll tell you what process is burning all the CPU time. It's a bit like Activity Monitor for your phone.

16. techspin macrumors 6502a

How hot does it run? I know restoring made my phone run very warm for several minutes.

17. Farsider macrumors 6502

Farsider

Mine ran hot for 2 days before it calmed down.

18. ssl0408, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014

ssl0408 thread starter macrumors 65816

It's running well but hot. I'm not doing anything intensive just iMessage and adjusting settings as I said before. No apps installed.

Update: The phone is still running hot just from light web browsing today. Last night it seemed to be ok, but today it's back to being very hot. I will have to return it. And this is my second iPhone 6. First one had a loose home and mute button. Getting tired of this process!! Gotta love that Apple quality.