HOT Leopard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Washac, Nov 4, 2007.

1. Washac macrumors 68020

Washac

Hi All

Noticed last night that the top left side of my iMac is hotter since running Leopard.

Anybody else noticed this ?

What would be causing the heat in this area, I assume CPU, not knowing the structure inside the beast.

What speed can the fans be run at safely providing I don't mind fan noise that is :)

2. Big-TDI-Guy macrumors 68030

Big-TDI-Guy

I don't know which Imac you have, so I can't say for sure. The fact that Leopard does have more graphic and CPU intensive tasks, could be part of it. Your 3d dock, and other visual candy puts on more of a workload on everything from the CPU/GPU onwards. I'm sure the quick look, and all the new thumbnails also puts additional work load on your system. The power supply (which is on the top left of my 20" imac) will produce more heat because of this.

Some energy saving features that might have been setup in Tiger may have been disabled in the upgrade (if that is what you did) Maybe your hard drive is no longer spinning down after 30 minutes, or maybe your display brightness is cranked up. I can't say for sure.

Here is the guts of my old intel imac, with some callouts. Sorry for the terrible quality, first (and last) attempt at "comic life". Runs for (#*$ on my intel. But it may give you an idea of where things are.

Attached Files: