Hot Mac

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by BoxerBoy, Mar 27, 2012.

1. BoxerBoy macrumors member

I spent a couple of hours yesterday trying to get my late 2011 MacBook Pro to play my iTunes music via Airport Express connected to my Speaker system.In common with so many others I was experiencing intermittent sound when using Airport Express.

Anyway I spent some time changing the channels used and also the network speed, 2.4ghz and 5ghz. Nothing I did made any difference, in fact the music became even more intermittent, hardly playing at all.

What I did notice is that my Mac got very hot, the first time this has happened, it usually runs very cool.

I stopped what I was doing, and tried my music again later that evening, and Bingo it has been working perfectly ever since, even though the channel settings etc are the same as they have always been.

Has anyone any idea why my Mac became so hot, or why it should suddenly play iTunes through Airport Express without continually breaking down.

2. snaky69 macrumors 603

The aluminum enclosure makes mac feel much warmer to the touch than their plastic counterpart. It does not mean that your computer was overheating, or that it had anything at all to do with the AirPlay.

I'm guessing you had a rogue process using up your processor, causing the music to skip in the first place.

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It's possible you had some process running that was consuming system resources, raising your temps and interfering with iTunes. If the problem is gone now, don't worry about it. If it returns, launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes", then click on the CPU column heading once or twice, so the arrow points downward (highest values on top). Then look to see what may be consuming system resources.

Use iStat Pro to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds and other things.

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C, GPU Tjmax = 100C on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

4. syg macrumors newbie