Hot Macbook Pro 15" Retina

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by yollo, Sep 17, 2014.

1. yollo macrumors newbie

Hi!

I just bought a MacbookPro 15" Retina (mid 2014) and I noticed that when I play CS:GO on it, it gets really hot (between 75-98degrees celsius) depending on what settings I use. I can on the other hand play WoW in windowed mode without borders on high setting with high resolution without problems.

Can I get the same behaviour in CS:GO or do I have to go on low res/settings?
    Also - Should I be worried that it gets that hot?

My Specs:
    Macbook Pro 15" Retina Mid 2014
    2,2GHz Intel Core i7
    16GB 1600MHz RAM
    Intel Iris Pro
    OSX Mavericks

Thanks!

2. Bending Pixels macrumors 65816

First, the heat issue is normal for games, websites that use a lot of Flash, or other CPU/GPU intensive programs. Lower res settings might reduce the temperature a bit, but not by much.

Just make sure there's nothing blocking the airflow.

3. yollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Ok thanks! But I saw that I was up on 98degrees celsius, is that normal as well? Sounds really hot to me...

4. Lachhh macrumors regular

Those temperatures are perfectly normal.
    Far as I know thermal shutdown occurs around 105 degrees c in this case. I've never seen temps above 100. It operates painfully close to the limit, but it's perfectly normal and the way it's meant to operate.

5. yollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your replies so far!
    So I should not be worried that the area at the top left at the F1-F5 buttons get really hot?

6. Lachhh macrumors regular

That's really the same question you've already asked.
    The answer is still no - the keyboard will get hot at these temperatures and that's normal.

7. yollo thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!!

Does anyone have good CS:GO graphic settings for my mac?

8. snaky69 macrumors 603

No.

9. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Just dial it up until it starts to appear laggy. It's an older game, so it should run really well on higher settings at 1920x1200.

10. def650 macrumors newbie

As the others have stated, the temps you're posting are normal. What I usually do when I play CS:GO is adjust the fps_max in the console to something lower. The lowest it can be set to is 59 and with that my laptop rarely gets above 75 degrees celsius.

11. thepominlaw macrumors member

I had the same concerns when i bought my 15" rMBP a few weeks ago, occasionally it hit 99 degrees C, it seems the fan speed it linked to the load on the system as it takes a while for them to ramp up.

Normal useage though seems to be around 30-45c

12. AnonDP macrumors member

I have been battling the exact same problems with my hefty 15" rMBP 2014. The people saying it's normal obviously do not know the mechanics of laptops as this is NOT a normal thing to be happening. It is not healthy and especially as the case is of this heavy metal (not the music genre) it really heats up and I have sufferd actual sore/burn areas on my legs.

13. snaky69 macrumors 603

That would be why Apple markets it as a notebook, not a laptop.

14. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

If you're not already doing so, use iStat Pro (free) or iStat Menus ($16) to get accurate readings of your temps, fan speeds, etc., rather than relying on your sense of touch or sound. A forum member has posted a copy of iStat Pro that has been "tweaked" to enhance compatibility with recent OS X versions. You can download it here.
    The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C (221F), GPU Tjmax = 100C (212F) on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)
    Unless there is a rare defect in a Mac, most temps are well within the normal operating range, considering the workload being put on it. Websites with Flash content, games and other multimedia apps will put higher demand on the CPU/GPU, generating more heat. This is normal. If you're constantly putting high demands on your system, such as gaming or other multimedia tasks, expect temps to rise and fans to spin up accordingly. It's just your Mac doing its job to maintain temps within the normal range.
    It is also quite normal for your Mac to become extremely hot to the touch during intensive operations. The aluminum body transfers heat more effectively than other materials used in computer casings, so you will feel the heat more. This doesn't indicate that it's overheating and will not harm the computer to be hot to the touch.
    Your fans are always on when your Mac is on, spinning at a minimum of 2000 rpm (for MBPs) or 1800 rpm (for MBAs, MBs and minis). iMacs have 3 fans with minimum speeds in the 800-1200 range. They will spin faster as needed to keep temps at a safe level. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC. (PRAM/NVRAM has nothing to do with these issues, so resetting it will not help.)
    The intake and exhaust vents are in the back of the computer near the hinge on all Mac notebooks (except the new MBP with retina display, which has intake vents along the sides at the bottom). The iMac vent is a slot on the back near the top of the computer. Make sure the vents remain unblocked to allow your computer to perform at its best. For Flash-related issues: