Hot Macbook - Unsure why

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by GreenMedallion, Nov 26, 2008.

1. GreenMedallion macrumors newbie

My Macbook is running hot. I've read numerous posts on all kinds of sites, and still can't figure this out. Please help.

With no applications open (except for Dashboard, which runs 2 widgets) my CPU use is at 50%, CPU temp at 153F, and my fan speed around 5800. This seems to never change, no matter what the load. I have checked my Activity Monitor and see nothing unusual there. (I've attached a screenshot) My fan is working fine as well. What gives?

I did do some recent upgrades, but between the upgrades and this, there was a time of great peace - no heat, no fans whirring away!

Upgrades - New 7200 rpm Harddrive (320 gb Hitachi), added a 2GB RAM module, and also made my Macbook dual boot with Ubuntu. I should note that in Ubuntu, it does not run as hot.

Thanks in advance!

Attached Files:

2. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

From the attached picture, it looks like the Print Job Manager (99.6%) culprit. It seems like the computer thinks your trying to print something. Clearing out the print queue should drop the temperature back to normal.

3. GreenMedallion thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip! Apologies for being so blind I didn't see that one in the first place. I quit the Print Job Manager and now my Macbook is behaving normally!

Happy Thanksgiving.