Hot MacBook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kkmac, Dec 29, 2007.

1. kkmac macrumors newbie

Everyone who has been following the life of the MacBook knows all about the heat issues that have plagued us MacBook users.

My contribution to this is that i think my black MacBook seems to be getting hotter as it ages!

As I type this, my computer is running at almost 70 degrees celsius, with fans running at almost 5000 rpm - the only program I am running is Safari and my computer has been on for almost 10 minutes.

if I dare to watch video on my Mac, it goes into overdrive. The fans will reach 6200 rpm in a matter of minutes and temp will stay constant at 72 deg. I'd be lucky to get 20mins of battery life.

My computer is about 18 months old. I don't remember this happening in my MacBook's younger months.

The effect of all this is that I can now get little more than an hour out of my battery. CoconutBattery now reports that my battery's life capacity is a mere 45%. I'm not sure if the connection between heat and battery life has been documented, but I would be highly skeptical of any claims that there wasn't a link.

Also, my Hard Drive died at about 14 months. hmmm. I know hard drives die, but this quickly? Can I blame the heat and fans for this as well?

Clearly, a more active fan is a band-aid solution to this hot problem.

This is the sixth Mac that I have owned and I have never known a Mac to have these sort of heat issues.

Has anyone else experienced an *increasingly* hot MacBook?

2. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Yes, heat does decrease the usable life of a battery (due to hastening the chemical reactions within the battery that break it down). I'd recommend smcfancontroller, but it sounds as if there's a hardware flaw in your MB, so a fan controller would only postpone the inevitable. Have you tried a clean reinstall, to make sure it's a hardware, and not a software issue?