Hot Macbooks... What's the real threat?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by NotToWorry, Apr 17, 2010.

1. NotToWorry macrumors newbie

There appears to be quite a few people on this forum who are concerned with their Macbooks' high temperatures. In most cases, it seems that there is no need for them to worry. However, I haven't really been able to gather what the ultimate concern is, should a laptop run too hot for too long. I mean, specifically, what might go wrong? And in what sort of scenario might this happen? Anyone with first-hand experience with such a situation?

Sorry if I seem clueless. I'm a long-time iMac owner, but have never owned a laptop. I'm just trying to gather as much info as I can about the MBP's before I make a purchase. I'll be using it for editing HD video in Fincal Cut Pro, as well as working in Logic rather extensively (ie recording 8 tracks simultaneously). Got my eye on the 17" i5.

Thanks!:)

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

No real threat, just annoyance. Hot below makes it hard to put on your bare legs; hot on top makes it uncomfortable to type. Also excessive heat also usually means fans a blazing which, personally, I find annoying.

My MBP isn't coming until later today, but, often, I find people's complains about excessive heat overwrought. A sub 1" chunk of metal crammed with electronics working at Ghz speed is going to conduct heat. It's not all that bad -- but don't put it on your uncovered legs. Seriously. A lot of people are used to plastic cases which, while just as hot inside, don't feel as hot outside. I'd rather deal w/ the heat and a metal case.

Of course if a machine gets too hot it will shut down, but that's unlikely to happen unless you are using it in direct sun or something.

3. Lambros macrumors regular

Well, the truth behind the matter is that if it gets too hot, specific parts of the laptop can melt. However, apple have obviously made a product which wont cause this to happen, as they would be up for a lot of $ themselves in replacing the models. Personally, I wouldnt worry about this. Ive seen that the 15" models apparently dont heat up much. Maybe its just the 17" models.

Its really up to you, but if I were in your position, I would go to an apple store and test it out first hand, so you can see whether you really want that laptop. Obviously the opinions of others can be helpful, but trying it first hand and asking yourself, "Can I live with this heat?" is the real question.

Good luck!