Hot Magsafe power Adapter

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by sthaznpride17, Aug 30, 2007.

1. sthaznpride17 macrumors newbie

hey all,

I have noticed that the Magsafe power brick gets quite hot when charging my MBP, is this normal? Also the area around the magsafe connector on the laptop itself gets warm. The left side of my MBP in general gets warm, especially since its summer. Should I be worried? I don't want anything to catch on fire or melt.

2. kolax macrumors G3

The magsafe adapter contains a big transformer that steps down the voltage, and as a result it gives off heat. ANY transformer gives off heat.

It is normal.

3. krash4882 macrumors newbie

I just try to make sure mine is sitting on a table or hardwood floor where it can get air. I've accidentally left it near me when I'm watching a movie in bed and it obviously gets pretty hot that way.

Does anyone know of any kind of cooling wrap accessory that may help? I know they're supposed to transfer the heat out, but maybe there's a way to assist the heat transfer so it's not so hot to the touch sometimes.

4. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

its normal... rarely anything to worry about... its really only a problem when i put it down my pants.. and like i said.. rarely...

5. Brandon Heat macrumors regular

6. EMKarelia macrumors regular

EMKarelia

Yeah its normal. Mine gives off like 115 F. The Macbook needs lots of power!

7. mrmayor92 macrumors 6502

8. BlackiBook macrumors 6502

BlackiBook

Mine is at 130 F right now and it gets hotter... still normal?

9. kryptonianjorel macrumors 6502

Just make sure the magsafe CONNECTOR isn't very warm. When that happens, its usually fraying and that can cause your laptop to catch on fire

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

or worst, your house! :eek:

Wonder does Apple have warning on it's powerbricks?
    Maybe they're waiting to get sued! Anyone wanna make a quick buck? :D

11. boxndragon04 macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro 13" 60W MagSafe Power Adapter scary Hot

My battery life was at 15% and then I plugged it in to charge. At 80% my screen dimmed and I looked at my battery and it wasn't charging. So i check my connection thinking maybe power went out but it was fine. Then I checked the plug (the white box/60 MagSafe Power Adapter) and it was soo freaking hot, like burning. I couldn't even touch it hot. Pretty scary. It's was on the carpet floor. It was plug into the extension plug provided with the macbook pro.

So FYI macbook pro users. That plug can get very very hot. Luckily it shut off, but I wouldn't put it near something that could possibly catch fire.

I'm putting it on the table some where there is air for it to breath or better yet i'm going to test if not using the white extension cord (the one provided by apple) will reduce the heat or not.

My two cent. I think apple might want to redesign it or have a warning or something.

12. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...my older sony and toshiba power bricks seem to get hotter than my macbook brick does... also the smaller eeePC brick I have seems to get the hotest - I figure due to the smaller size and trying to charge a larger battery...

13. mac2x macrumors 65816

Mine behaves the same way. SMCfancontrol will help a lot if your machine is running hot. Just setting the minimum fan speed to 3000 rather than the default 2000 made a big difference for me.

14. RKpro macrumors 6502

+1

My eeePC adapter is the hottest, and I've had an HP and Toshiba before the MBP, and those adapters were a lot hotter than the MagSafe. I could be playing a game in windows using the 9600m gt, while charging the battery, and the magsafe adapter doesn't even get close to the temps of my eeePC adapter.

15. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

The left side gets hot because that is where the CPU is. The magsafe is OK; it will get hot. Your MBP will automatically shut down before it will ever catch on fire (usually it will shut down for safety at 105C or ~220F). There's nothing to worry about. Just give your MBP adequate ventilation and enjoy it!:)

16. BittenApple macrumors 6502a

BittenApple

They are hot little boxes. But thats what you get when you pick design over function.