hot mbp!! and not in the good sense..

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ninj, Dec 9, 2008.

1. ninj macrumors newbie

How do! I'm new to the forum and you guys have prob heard it all before.. But hoping your expertise will calm my nerves. I've just been streaming a 20 minute video online in bed with my mbp on my lap on top of the covers, i just happened to glance at my istat widget and it said my CPU was at 91 degrees celsius. I wasn't running anything else, but firefox. The fans were running at just over 2000rpm. It almost hurt to touch the bottom of it. Think maybe my duvet might have acted as good insulation.. I just whacked a book underneath and it went down to 43 degrees within a couple of minutes.

I got the new mbp a month ago and it's my first mac, already with all my design work, including dissertation, for uni. I was just wondering if this is safe?? Should i get it looked at, or meh, leave it?

Cheers for any advice :)

2. quilpole macrumors newbie

Hot Mac - Avoid Firefox!

At present, Firefox seems to have some serious issues with regard to mac use. I don't know what it's doing, but even when idle, it can easily bring your machine up to the mid sixties in temperature.

An experiment.

Perform a graphics intensive operation with Safari.
    Note the temperature after a while.
    Now run Firefox and do the same things.

You'd have a hard time NOT noticing the difference!

I have a 17" Macbook Pro, and I could probably COOK on it after an hour of running Firefox. I've only noticed this happening in the last month or so! I'm pretty sure I would have noticed it if it had been doing it over the summer.

Anyway, avoiding FF has done the trick for my machine.

Quilpole.

3. Solemony macrumors 6502

Solemony

Another thought is that maybe it's blocking the airflow..since it's on top of a cover because I have the new MB and it's usually on my lap and most of the time I just do some surfing on the net the temp went to around 50...but when i put it under two textbooks and have gap around maybe 6-7"..the MB's temp comes down to around 39 and 40 degrees..:)

4. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Did you check your process list to make sure nothing else was running?

Also, blankets can restrict airflow. I'd advise against putting your machine on one except for VERY light duty (ie, typing papers or surfing w/the 9400)

Streaming video is a bit more processor intensive than most people realize.

Also, did you download the EFI and SMC updates? There seems to be some changes to the fan settings in there.