Hot memory

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Wiltonian, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Wiltonian macrumors member

Wiltonian

Have just been commissioning a MP 1.1 (flashed to 2.1) as I need a capable Mac in two locations 150 miles apart. Storage volume is critical; speed isn't!

While my main MP 5.1 reports memory temperatures of typically 40C, the 1.1 reports 65-80C. Is this typical?

Thanks, Stuart.

2. owbp macrumors 6502a

owbp

It is normal, DDR2 ECC runs really hot. 800MHz is even worse than 667MHz.
    That's why MacPro 1,1-3,1 has those giant heatsinks on RAM stick, where 4,1-5,1 doesn't.

3. SamirPD macrumors member

Yeah, watch for the heatsink/heatspreader designs if you're not using ram with the Apple designed heatsinks. In my testing, different jedec heatspreader designs can vary in temp by 14c.

To give you some point of reference, I have a Dell Poweredge 2950 that uses the same pc2-5300f memory. At full load, I can get the memory temps up to 75c with the jedec 'bump' style heatspreader design. The same load with 'flat' style heatspeader design modules keeps the highest temps in the upper 60s max.

If you want the memory to run cooler, I believe there is a way to manually change the memory fan speed to be faster, albeit it might be a bit noisier.

4. Wiltonian thread starter macrumors member

Wiltonian

Thanks for both replies. It's already noisier than the 5.1, so want to avoid more!
    Stuart

5. SamirPD macrumors member

Remember that heat can kill the components too over time, so sometimes a little noise may be worth it. ;)

6. CapnDavey macrumors 6502

CapnDavey

are you running old server ram with the small heatsinks ? those run much hotter then then oem ram with the large black heat sinks