Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michial

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 15, 2009
I just picked up the official Apple 20W usb-c to lightning power adapter and plugged it into my 13 Pro Max before bed last night. I picked up the phone after 5-10 minutes and the phone was very warm to hot. I’m wondering if it’s better to just use the 5W overnight and the 20 for quick charge scenarios to preserve the health and longevity of the battery, or if it’s fine to continue with the 20 overnight too?

BrettDS

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
Orlando
This is kind of like asking a question about politics or religion. You’ll get people with strong opinions on both sides with this question.

That said, I think it is better for the battery to stay cooler as it charges, so it probably is better for the battery if you use the 5W charger overnight.

However, you probably won’t see a significant difference in battery life if you just stick with the 20W charger and there’s something to be said for convenience and just having one charger to worry about.

Personally, I use a QI charger most of the time (which also has heat issues) and fast chargers occasionally as well.

Reactions: POWERPLANTHOMER

BreakingKayfabe

Suspended
Oct 22, 2020
Southern Cal
Guys, stop using fast chargers to charge your devices for the 5-6 hours that you’re asleep. Why heat up the battery when you can give it a nice slow charge without doing that?

i only use my fast charging bricks during the day when I’m really in need of a quick 30% or so.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
It seems like last year I got one charge that made my iPhone scary hot to the touch on the charger. In my case I was using the MagSafe on 18 watts. Same happened this time with my new 13 Pro. Then it doesn’t seem to happen again and I’ve had no issues. Keep an eye on things. It’s probably okay. My iPhones have 97%-100%.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
This is kind of like asking a question about politics or religion. You’ll get people with strong opinions on both sides with this question.

That said, I think it is better for the battery to stay cooler as it charges, so it probably is better for the battery if you use the 5W charger overnight.

However, you probably won’t see a significant difference in battery life if you just stick with the 20W charger and there’s something to be said for convenience and just having one charger to worry about.

Personally, I use a QI charger most of the time (which also has heat issues) and fast chargers occasionally as well.
Heat reduces battery health seems to be a consensus. My iPhone 12 sometimes got extremely hot under load and the battery health dropped quickly. The iPhone 13 series so far looks much better in this regard (it doesn’t really heats up a lot under my usage).

Last edited:
Reactions: POWERPLANTHOMER
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.