Hot Swapping w/ MAC OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by bmwpowere36m3, Nov 14, 2008.

1. bmwpowere36m3 macrumors 6502

Hey guys, I recently got an external HD (Western Digital 500GB), macally G-S350SU exclosure, and a Rosewill eSATA II Express Card.

I was wondering if they support hot swapping. The Rosewill adapter says, "Supports Hot Plugging on external Serial ATA port" and the enclosure case says, "Hot plug and play".

So does OS X support hot swapping. So far I've only connected the HD with a USB cable, the computer was ON, the HD was OFF and I plugged it in and turned it ON. No problem, then I went to disconnect it... I just "Ejected" the drive and disconnected the USB cable, again no problem.

Will the eSATA work the same?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Hot swapping support is a function of the eSATA card you install, so you would have to check the specs of the card you choose to use.

If you have a Mac Pro and use the kits that simply extend the two unused SATA ports inside to the rear so that they may be used as eSATA, hot swapping is NOT supported.

EDIT: BTW- FireWire will work as you have described USB.

3. bmwpowere36m3 thread starter macrumors 6502

So since the card says it can, that means I can plug it when the computer is running and remove it while its running as well (ejecting it first though), correct?