Hot tea in my Macbook! What to do?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MathiasDK, Feb 24, 2009.

1. MathiasDK macrumors newbie

Hi

Yesterday I droped a hot cup of tea on my Macbooks keyboard :-( I quickley removed the battery and waited untill today to turn the computer on again.

Now the computer can boot up, but some of the keys has stopped working. Would it help to try to take the case apart and clean the keyboard, or should I just cut my losses and get myself a USB-keyboard?

Any other tips are welcome!

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

You probably should have waited longer... did you have sugar in your tea? If so, giving it a clean may work, although be very careful that no more liquid drops under the keys (air is drawn under the keys towards the processor) or touches the logic board.

3. EB66 macrumors 6502

if you think you are capable i would take it apart and take a look to see if you can clean it up a little more although you should have waited a little longer for it to dry

if not then it looks like she is going to be going back to apple to get repaired unless you don't mind a usb keyboard for the rest of the time which kindo f defeats the purpose of a laptop in my opinion

4. hacksaw-C87 macrumors regular

When I've had moisture problems with electronics kit the best solution I've found is to put the item in question in a bag with some rice. This sounds mental, but the rice WILL soak up residual moisture. Also some techniques that can work: place in airing cupboard/leave under high-watt lamp. Try these techniques and don't turn on your system again for at least 3 days if at all possible. If still no improvement take it to an apple store and see what they say, if they give you a bad diagnosis then it might have to be USB keyboard. I hope that there's no other problems with your system i.e. logic board/graphics card or whatever. These can be more expensive/difficult to fix. Good luck. :)

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Why do people only leave it for a day before turning it back on? He may have fried something himself by doing so.

Anyway, you can buy a new keyboard for your laptop. I'd go to ifixit.com and see some photos of your laptop being taken apart. The instructions are usually quite good.