Hot to remotely access my iMac?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by blackfx35, Feb 19, 2009.

1. blackfx35 macrumors member

Is there an easy way to access my iMac (that is at home), while I am on my PC while at work? Specifically, I want to be able to go to certain internet sites via my iMac's browser. I am a Corporate recruiter, and often need to access Facebook to get information on potential candidates. My company has, however, blocked facebook from being accessible. Therefore I am often taking candidate names home to check out. It would be so much easier if facebook were allowed at work, however, our IT group doesnt want everyone in the company to be able to access it (and a number of other sites - games, dating sites, etc). Anyhow, wondering if I can remotely access my imac, then use the browser....thanks!

2. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

If you really needed to access facebook for work purposes you could be given access.

Proxy exceptions are easy to create on a user basis.
    However since your work blocks such sites most remote control software is likly to be bloked also.

What do you think facebook is going to tell you about prospective candidates anyway? Nothing relevent I'd think. People are allowed a personal life and it does not naturally reflect how they would act at work. I doubt anyone would be so stupid to give away actual character defects that would be relvent to your searches.

Your best bet is to find a proxy web site unblocked by your companies proxy.

http://www.hidemyass.com/

Or simaler.

Or if if is that important to you how about a mobile connection and connecting via bluetooth?

Though at the end of it, if your comapny does not want you to do it, why go above their rules for their benefit? Seems like you will get no appreciation for it and maybe they would resent it and use it against you.

3. blackfx35 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the insight. I am not looking for a "is facebook an effective tool to be used in recruiting", I am just looking for a method to use it. There are certain areas of my company that are very much for this (the Talent Sourcing Organization), and others that are very much against it (our CTO), its a battle we have been fighting for some time, and will likely continue to battle.

Sorry, I should have been more clear regarding the potential uses. Facebook is an effective tool at creating community in addition to checking personal profiles (which may or may not be private). Our campus recruiting organization for instance, would have a huge benefit to have a facebook account to highlight schools, dates, and events for their initiatives.

Nonetheless, my intention as stated above, isn't to determine if it should or should not be used. Its to determine how I can while at work.

Can you elaborate on the mobile connection through bluetooth?

Thanks for your suggestions, I will check them out.

4. rWally macrumors regular

You could use a VNC viewer on your PC at work to control and view your iMac. Might be a little bit of overkill for what you want to do but it is convenient to have total access to your home computer from anywhere with internet access. I can even control my iMac at home from my iPhone.

5. blackfx35 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, is there a VNC viewer that you would suggest? Are there any free ones that would work?

6. rWally macrumors regular

Yeah, I use TightVNC Viewer on my PC at work and it does just fine.

http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html

7. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

most of the time remote access tools is one of the categories blocked by companies as well. so this might not work for you either.