hot to set the default application

biohazard6969

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 23, 2005
toronto canada
hey all, i just wanted to know how to set the default application for opening a file. right now it is set to open wmv files in VLC as default but i want to switch it to windows media player. how?

Duff-Man

macrumors 68030
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...another question that gets frequently asked and answered....
- highlight one of the wmv files and do a "get info"
- look in the section "open with" and expand it if necessary
- choose the app you want to open with and selct the "change all" function
...there you go....oh yeah!

nscs1a

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2005
How about how to set the default application for safari. I have no problem opening wmv files that I have saved, but safari is saving wmv files as mpeg files, or if I try to open from the site, it launches the big quicktime window to try to play it...

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA
nscs1a said:
How about how to set the default application for safari. I have no problem opening wmv files that I have saved, but safari is saving wmv files as mpeg files, or if I try to open from the site, it launches the big quicktime window to try to play it...
This is impossible. You may think that your saved .mpeg files started as .wmv files, but they did not. Presumeably, if you paid for the Flip4Mac codec that allows QuickTime to play .wmv files, you could use QT Pro to convert .wmv files to another format. However, I would bet goldbars to donuts that you don't have it. Safari has no built-in way to convert one media format to another.