Hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by eddy808, Nov 14, 2008.

1. eddy808 macrumors newbie

Hey i had my alum macbook running firefox, adium, and mail... eventually i noticed that my fan was running at 6000rpm with the cpu at 60 degrees. It continued to do this for about half a hour until i closed mail and some of the firefox windows. After about 15 minutes my fans are now down to 4.5k rpm.

1. Is this normal for the fans? I understand the fans go faster as the temps go up but 60 degrees isnt that big of a temp increase?
    2. If i were to take this in to apple, would they blame my invisible shield for the heat?
    3. Would they void my warranty with the invisible shield applied?

Thanks guys

2. Ironic macrumors 6502a

Ironic

3. eddy808 thread starter macrumors newbie

I know... my fans usually were around 2000 rpm or a little above... thats why i'm asking?

4. eddy808 thread starter macrumors newbie

now my cpu temp is 65 deg but my fans are staying at 2000 rpms... I dont get it

5. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

When people say their fans don't go above 2000 rpm and don't say exactly what they were doing at the time then be suspect of it (if they are doing something highly intensive those fans will produce like they should well above 2000 rpm). Most people might only use Safari, Word, and iTunes. If anyone uses anything more intensive their fans will go up no matter how well their system is made. It is the nature of the beast. If theirs only goes up to 2000 rpm and stays there, then they don't use their computer for anything too intensive.

As far as your question, I think the fans are a bit high for that temp. and the apps you were running (not intensive at all). Sometimes my fans kick on and the temps go up on certain low/medium apps then the next time I run them they don't. No big deal. The intel chip is built to run at extremely high temps and the fans are well built (I have had 3 Macs and never had a problem with the fans). I would turn the computer off and test it again with the same apps. If it does it again call Apple or go to the store. They will want you to show them in person what is happening if you go to the store.

6. eddy808 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks but i was just worried that they'd blame my invisible shield and maybe even take away my warranty? I was just wondering if anyone had experience with apple and their view of invisible shield on their laptops

7. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

They won't. They are anal sometimes, but not that anal. My friend put one on his Whitebook and his HD died (not b/c of the skin :)). They replaced it and said nothing at all about his skin on it. It doesn't do anything to the function of the computer.

8. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

I never saw what that "invisible shield" is, but I guess its some sort of film wrapped around the entire body of the notebook?

I think it could potentially incubate he heat inside because the notebook body is aluminium and helps dissipate the heat as well.

I could be wrong though... :eek:

9. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

I would be very surprised if Apple says anything about your IS. However, on their website, Zagg recommends that you remove the IS before sending it back for repair. Call them, and they'll send you a new set of IS for free.

10. eddy808 thread starter macrumors newbie

ooo can you link me to where zagg says theyll send a new is if you remove it for the laptop repair