Hotel drops MacBook Pro Help Needed!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by totolad, Dec 25, 2016.

1. totolad macrumors member

Hello all,

sadly we have returned to our hotel room to find that my 13 inch 2015 MacBook Pro Retina has been damaged on the corner. It looks like it has been dropped. Is there any way that I can check a log to see if anything has been recorded on the sudden Motion Sensor or the accelerometer so I can pinpoint exactly when this damage occurred please?

The laptop has an SSD drive built into it.

any help would be appreciated!

Thank You :)

2. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

I don't believe there is a way. Perhaps someone else may have an idea though. I would however, strongly advise you to never leave something as valuable as your MacBook Pro in your room when you leave it. Most hotels and motels warn you against that very thing.

3. totolad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. It is typical that we were told we needed to change rooms and advised that someone would move all our luggage and the thought didn't even cross my mind in a five star hotel! :( Live and Learn I suppose.

4. chscag macrumors 68030

chscag

In that case, I would take the matter up with the hotel manager since it appears they were responsible for moving your luggage to a new room. If it's a 5 star hotel, they should be willing to pay for the damage to your MacBook Pro.

5. Lucifer666, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Chalk it up to travel expense. I've had this done to me without them even telling me (moved my stuff). When I complained they threatened to call security (just for complaining- no raised voice or anger). I had to leave quickly :D.

You could try going up the chain with complaints (threats). Where there's a will......But is it worth it to you?

6. littlepud macrumors regular

littlepud

This. Be polite, be courteous. If the hotel manager / shift manger can't do anything, then take it up the chain with corporate head office.

7. cerberusss macrumors 6502a

cerberusss

If the MacBook was recently paid for by creditcard, then you might still be insured. Also, check your travel insurance if any.

8. Lucifer666 macrumors 6502a

Thinking about this. I would really try everything. Take photos and names. Having names and documented info is a powerful thing. They need to pay you. They are insured.

Relax, take it slow, don't stress, but get your money back.

Good luck. Post results here.

Merry Christmas BTW :)

9. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

Why did you have to switch rooms? I wouldn't let the hotel staff move my belongs. Never the less leave my laptop out. Only time I left it out was when we rented a villa then my crap was everywhere lol

10. tubeexperience macrumors 68040

If it turns on and operates normally, it's not broken.

11. CE3, Dec 25, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2016

CE3 macrumors 65816

He didn't say it was broken, he said it was damaged. And even if it works normally now, the drop or impact could still have caused internal damage (like loose connections) that won't rear its ugly head until further down the road.

I think the hotel should be responsible for the damage, even if it proves to be only cosmetic. Hopefully you can work something out with management. The fact that your room was changed should provide you with documentation to support your claim if it comes to that.

12. totolad thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies guys, the hotel have accepted that it was their fault due to a member of their staff coming forward, however it now gets better, The Hotel have sent the MacBook to the local Apple store in Delhi and advised that it will cost more than the laptop is to buy and that the hotel won't cover the cost because it is too much even though they have advised that they accept the liability!!

Sadly as we are in Delhi and flying back to the UK tonight we aren't in any further position to ask for compensation for the laptop. :( Very disappointing.

I would advise no-one to stay at the Imperial Hotel in New Delhi ever!

13. duervo macrumors 68020

duervo

Then the hotel should compensate you in at least some form ... buy you a loaded Mac mini, for example, or give you several night's complementary stay (not that you would ever use it after this experience.)

14. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Regardless of the cost, they ought to accept responsibility which means making things right. Can you sue them?

15. WhiteWhaleHolyGrail macrumors 6502a

WhiteWhaleHolyGrail

I sincerely hate to be negative here but I think the prospects of recovering anything from the hotel are very low indeed for the following reasons:

1. Can the OP prove that the hotel caused this damage? I doubt it. The hotel will rely upon a generic line of defence along the lines of - 'are you sure it wasn't damaged elsewhere sir?'. OP will say he is certain and the hotel will offer smug sympathy and that's all.
    2. The costs involved - arguably, if the hotel admits liability, they ought to pay for a new MBP. I needn't remind you how costly these things are and so (1) will only be more econimical.
    3. 5 star hotels are no more likely to compensate than 1 star hotels as they are risk adverse and massively PR concerned - (1) is far easier to spin than admitting hotel staff are clumsy/reckless.
    4. The hotel will no doubt have a policy hidden in the small prints of its hotel policy that it cannot accept liability for loss, theft or damage caused to personal possessions left on hotel premises.

OP's best bet is to claim on insurance or ask for contribution as gesture of goodwill.

Best of luck whichever avenue is chosen!

WWHG.

16. Queen6, Dec 26, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2016

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Problem is all hotels have a disclaimer built onto the T&C`s so very likely a non starter, hence why the hotel manager has no issue with admitting fault on their behalf. I always secure my notebooks in the safe or keep them with me, leaving them out I feels too much of a risk.

Q-6

17. maflynn, Dec 27, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2016

maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

[MOD NOTE]
    Closed for moderator review

Reopened and some posts were removed.
    As always please remember

Rules for Appropriate Debate

18. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Baaaaaaloney. What a crock of malarkey they're telling you. You deserve repair or compensation, not this.

Have you got your laptop now? Does it at least work?

The fact that they (1) made you change rooms, and (2) moved your stuff [was this with or without your consent?] chaps my hide more than the dropped laptop. Five star hotel or Super 8, don't touch my stuff.

A coworker once dropped my older, pre-unibody 15" on the floor. Dented the corner and warped the optical drive slot so it wouldn't eject a disc without holding the slot open with a pen or house key. The damage nearly cost me a warranty repair later (fortunately, the Genius Bar tech accepted my explanation that the dent predated the video card issue by over a year). If it had been a hotel staffer rather than a friend, though, you can bet I'd have raised a stink.