Hotel internet

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ddk121, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ddk121 macrumors 6502

:confused: I have been using the hotel internet connection on my macbook, in my hotel room, for the last couple of days now, and today, it suddenly dawned on me that i had been checking my bank account balance and details, and also going on some other secure and unsecure websites. Now, my q is, will the hotel be able to access information to what sites I have visted, and also secure details??

2. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

As long as the bank website or any other site you had sensitive data on was SSL (HTTPS), you will be fine.

3. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks. Will the hotel also be able to access a list of my visted sites, or have they no access to that?

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

They can, in principle, see that. The only way to avoid that is really to use a proxy service or a VPN.

5. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

More than likely they have an IP outgoing and incoming log. So they will know which computer went each website.

As for sites that you have been accessing, as long as you have been connecting via https or other secure manner your data should not be out there in the wild, other than the IP listing.

One concern are sites that have the password sent in the clear. These could be compromised. But if the password is encrypted, you should be okay.

6. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok, so what yours saying is, they will be able to see the i.p address of the website, no the name? I.e, not www.abcds.com, but 192.168.0.5?

7. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

No... anyone who has the IP address can get the name of the site easily (or go there themselves).

What he's saying is that they can easily see where you've been going, but not necessarily access sensitive account information (since your sensitive websites, such as your bank, should be using security).

8. Queso macrumors G4

In some countries, e.g. France, it's actually a legal requirement for the hotel and anyone else offering Net sharing facilities to keep this information*. Most likely they will have offered your MacBook a DNS server with the DHCP options for their network. In which case they will have logs of which web sites your computer queried for, and what IP addresses were then returned. If you used your normal ISP's DNS they won't have that information.

I wouldn't worry about it. From my experience the only time these logs get looked at is if something illegal has gone down.

*The IP records, not your bank details. Those they shouldn't ever be able to get providing you checked for the padlock :)

9. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Sorry guys, i'm not the sharpest tool in the box. Can someone maybe simplify it for me. Will they see, i.e, 192.168.0.2, or www.abdhsjkf.com?

10. Queso macrumors G4

The IP incoming/outgoing log will just have addresses. If you took the DHCP-offered DNS server too, then they also have a separate log with the names of the websites.

11. ddk121 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thanks guys. I went through this redirected page, where I chose how long I wanted to use the net for and for how much, so I;m not sure what I'm on :confused:

12. Queso macrumors G4

In that case they were using some form of proxy server as a gateway. Everything will be logged, but the SSL link from your bank would not have been readable to anything other than your own computer.