Hoth-lanta 2011

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Keleko, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Keleko macrumors 68000

Almost 6" of snow fell in my area of Metro Atlanta last night and this morning. The snow changed to sleet and freezing rain creating a crusty ice layer on top of the snow. The best term I've heard for today is Hothlanta.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

6 inches may be a lot for Hoth-lanta but it's mere child's play out here. Hope all is well down there by now. Heard some people didn't make it out of the south to the BCS Championship game because of the weather.

[​IMG]

3. Keleko thread starter macrumors 68000

Northerners always say 6" or whatever we get isn't a lot. How much is it when you have no chance of salting or scraping it off the roads due to lack of equipment? And right now the roads are mostly solid ice. No matter how north you are, you can't drive on that without proper equipment on a vehicle. We just don't have snow tires or chains here because it doesn't come up often enough. I'm glad I work from home and don't have to try to go anywhere.

Of course, it also usually melts and is gone in a couple of days. This week is unusual that we won't see temps above freezing until this weekend.

4. fcortese macrumors demi-god

fcortese

Only the main roads get plowed out here. But I can appreciate the difficulties in the southern climes especially cars without snow tires! Out here snow starts in Oct-Nov and generally stays on the ground until Mar-Apr. If the mountain peaks hold the snow until August, that means our water table is good enough to help keep down summer forest fires. I guess you either adapt to your surroundings or move. Stay safe on the roads.