hotkeys & folder preferences questions

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mason.kramer, May 31, 2007.

1. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

1. The number one thing that is slowing me down in OS X is having to manually click on on dialogue boxes to select the option I want. Suppose I want to quit a program and I have an unsaved document. A dialogue box pops up asking me if I want to save changes, quit without saving, or cancel. I've tried everything I can think of and no keyboard command I've tried gives me a way to tab through the options. Obviously, if I press enter, the default option is selected, but I frequently find that the default is not what I want. Is there a way to do this natively, and if not, is there a way to add that functionality?

2. In windows, ctrl-lft and control-right moves to the next whitespace on the line. I use this hotkey about 500 times an hour in windows, but it doesn't work in mac. Is there an analogous hotkey? (OOPS! nevermind, I just found it - it's opt-arrow on here. Phew...thank goodness).

3. I want to set the finder to display my folders as a list by default. I took a guess and discovered that cmd-, gives me the prefs for finder. However there is no option to "always display new windows as a list." Is there to have my finder always default to list-view? I hate tiles.

Thanks for your time...I might post back with more hotkey questions :)

2. lancestraz macrumors 6502a

lancestraz

For most apps....

command + d = Don't save
    esc = cancel
    enter = default answer

3. finger11 macrumors member

whoops, post has been edited, mods, please delete (meant to PM OP rather than reply to thread)