Hotmail Account Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Mac Curious, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Mac Curious macrumors member

A few weeks ago there were emails being sent from my hotmail account which were solicitations to buy products; I had not sent these emails. A CNet search identified the problem; the solicitation message made its way into my personal signature. I don't use a personal signature and had never turned it on. I deleted the message and turned off the use of a personal signature. Everything was fine for about two weeks; now the message is going out again, but there is nothing in my personal signature.

Anyone know how I can resolve this issue? Thanks.

Ed

2. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Are the messages in your outgoing mailbox? If not, it could be that some one is just spoofing your address.

3. pol0001 macrumors 6502

pol0001

Choose a complex password:

- at least 7 characters
    - letters, numbers AND symbols

4. Mac Curious thread starter macrumors member

gjw4u:
    My inbox is filled with notifications of delivery failure, although the emails are getting to recipients, since they reply to me.

5. gjw4u macrumors 6502

Mac Curious, did you check if there are any of those strange mails in your outbox?

If there aren't any, then I believe that some one is spoofing your account. By spoofing I mean the following:
    "By changing certain properties of the e-mail, such as the From, Return-Path and Reply-To fields (which can be found in the message header), ill-intentioned users can make the e-mail appear to be from someone other than the actual sender."

From Wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E-mail_spoofing

Hope that helps.

6. Mac Curious thread starter macrumors member

The emails are not in my outbox. Is there anything I can do to put a stop to this? Thanks.