Hotmail and how to disable messenger in it?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by ScorchinScooter, Jul 27, 2010.

1. ScorchinScooter macrumors newbie

Anyone know how to disable the new feature in Hotmail? I hate that when I login to check email it automatically signs onto MSN messenger and everyone can contact me when all I want to do is check my email. Is this the right area to post? Help please.

2. Xero910 macrumors member

Just go to your Hotmail page, then on the far left where it shows your name, click your name and SIGN OUT.

Don't click sign out of the actual account but rather the msn account when click your name and the new drop-down appears.

This was driving me nuts too and just did that, now it won't sign in there and kick me off the messenger application anymore.

3. Minineko macrumors newbie

Mine still signs me in every time I sign in, signing me out of the application. I have to sign out in hotmail and back in the app every time. It's incredibly frustrating as I have two hotmails to check, so I always need to back and forth.

Is there an option to just turn the whole thing off? Or do I have to switch to gmail?

4. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

You can sign out of Messenger only. Upper right hand corner where your name is, click on the green square to the left of your name, that's the status for Messenger. Click on the green square box and a drop down menu will appear. Sign out.

5. Minineko macrumors newbie

That's not the problem though. I don't want 12 people messaging me when I want to check my email for 10 seconds. I also don't want it to sign me out of the Messenger program when I'm already in it.

Basically I NEVER want it to sign me in at all. If I want to be on MSN I'll open it myself.

How do I fix that?

6. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Are you saying you want to check hotmail and not sign into messenger? The post above is what it does. you are not signing out of hotmail, the square beside your name is your status for Messenger.

7. Minineko macrumors newbie

The post above tells me how to sign out of messenger once it has already automatically signed me in, disconnected me from the program, and blasted weeks worth of "offline messages" at me when I wanted to do a quick e-mail check. Then I still have to go reconnect in the program.

I want it to not sign me into messenger in the first place. I shouldn't have to sign off it every time I check my email. Is that possible?

8. Xero910 macrumors member

I only had to sign out of Messenger once from my hotmail page, then it stopped doing it automatically.

Maybe run messenger, open hotmail (sign out when it logs you in), then sign back in on the Messenger app itself (not the built in hotmail one)

That is exactly how I did mine and it stops doing it automatically now in hotmail.

Not sure why you still keep getting logged in....

9. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

What he said. :confused:

Do you have your cookies set?

10. Minineko macrumors newbie

It still signs me in every time, but only on my "secondary" spam-magnet e-mail.

What cookies am I supposed to set?

11. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

I was also able to click my name in the upper right corner and choose "Sign out of Messenger" just once, and when I logged out & back in I was still signed out of Messenger.

* I did not clear my cookies/reset Safari before logging back in, so it may just be using cookies to remember my setting instead of saving it to the server.

12. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Minineko: see picture.

Click on the square green box, a box will appear with your status. Sign out from the box.

Attached Files:

13. Minineko macrumors newbie

I know! I do that every time!

What I want to know is if there's an option to disable messenger COMPLETELY. I already have it on, on my computer, if I want to be online. I don't want 10 people saying Hi every time I check my email and don't want to sign out on them or have to say "sry just checking email".

If the answer is "no" I can't do that, then I'll just switch to Gmail. It'll be less tedious in the end.

14. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

15. Dr McKay macrumors 68040

Dr McKay

Why not simply set it up so that you sign in as 'Appearing Offline'. That way noone contacts you.

16. iMAVERICKam macrumors member

Because that's not an option when logging in to Hotmail.