Hotmail and Mac Mail Question - Not On How To Setup The Account

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by tyreal, Nov 19, 2008.

1. tyreal macrumors member

I have Mac Mail and Hotmail setup through the http mail plugin. Works fine. I have two questions however...

1. When deleting a Hotmail email in Mail, will Hotmail reflect that next time I log on to Hotmail? It doesn't appear to do so. If not, why would I want to use Mail when I have to go back into Hotmail to clean it up anyway. The same goes for when I organize Hotmail emails in Mail; if it doesn't reflect it in Hotmail, what's the point. In other words, why manage two accounts?

2. Why does Mail display all of my Hotmail messages as unread when in fact they have been read, in Hotmail?

Any help on both these issues?

Thanks!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Both of these issues are because the Hotmail to Mail interface uses POP3. If it used IMAP instead you wouldn't have these issues. This is a limitation of POP3 and not of Hotmail or Mail, unfortunately. :(

3. tyreal thread starter macrumors member

Is this the same issue with Gmail? Am I forced to manage two accounts?

4. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

No - unlike Hotmail GMail does support IMAP access through Mail, without any plugins. This means that your changes on Mail are instantly reflected on the GMail servers, and vice versa.

5. tyreal thread starter macrumors member

Ok, thanks for your help!

One of the reasons I stopped using gmail as my personal account is because of the massive amount of junk mail I was recieving. The odd thing, I was using my hotmail account for commercial/junk/account logins and Gmail for friends and family. Somehow, I recieve about 10 junk mails in my Hotmail account per month and about 150 in my Gmail account. Both filter them out pretty well. You have any clue as to why this would be? Any way to stop it?

Another reason I quit using gmail is because of the lack of folders...I guess I got lazy labelling everything.

6. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The most likely reason is because Microsoft implemented some security features to stop people from using their servers as open spam relays, and Google hasn't fixed their servers yet :eek: Alas, there is no good way to stop the flow of junk mail once it starts.

7. Mike in Kansas macrumors 6502a

Mike in Kansas

I use Macmail and Hotmail, and have been for a couple of months. When I delete an email in Macmail, it also deletes in Hotmail. When I read an email in Macmail, it also shows as being "read" in Hotmail. However, when I read or delete an email in Hotmail, it does NOT show as "read" or deleted in Macmail. It looks like it is just a "one way" synch, and not dual synch.